Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,271 Posts
Good job. I think the Dealer Mode may have a check for the USB connection.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered a 12" cable that I need to try. I have just been using Bluetooth for Spotify so far.

What do you use two cables for?
One cable is for Android Auto, so that it displays maps etc. I don't have the NAV option on my car.

The other cable is just to charge devices, but I don't want anything interfering with the phone slot, so I put the second USB 90 degree extension cable so that if anyone wants to use the USB for power or whatever, it's available without interfering with the phone slot. It's currently unpopulated.

·
Registered
2019 Touring (Canadian Model) with Eyesight
532 Posts
I have a 2019 with a similar complaint. My solution was to purchase a magnetic extension for my phone and a regular short extension for my thumb drive. Then close the door on the two cables and never open the door again. I can swap out my thumb drives without straining my fingers. I use 3 separate thumb drives, two for music and one for audio books. So far the magnetic cable is working great.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 2019 with a similar complaint. My solution was to purchase a magnetic extension for my phone and a regular short extension for my thumb drive. Then close the door on the two cables and never open the door again. I can swap out my thumb drives without straining my fingers. I use 3 separate thumb drives, two for music and one for audio books. So far the magnetic cable is working great.
I have seen magnetic usb cables but was afraid they wouldn't work well. Good to know they can work!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,326 Posts
Yea, I'm not sure why those ports need to be so recessed.
I find when I update the tunes my tiny USB stick, it's actually easier to enter the car from the passenger's side, then face the rear as I reach behind me with my right hand to grasp the stick to pull it out. I do the same to insert it. Sounds dumb but it actually works 10X better than fumbling with ft fingers from the drivers side. Extensions would be a must if I had to get things in /out those ports more often.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts