Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 XT needs a new engine.

There's a low km engine which was imported from Japan available that I'm considering. The primary difference is that this a 2.0L instead of a 2.5L

What would be the considerations in putting this engine into my outback?

Does the computer need to be tuned to accomodate it? Any other reason I would want to avoid doing this?

I'll be getting the local Subaru guys to do the job as opposed to doing it myself. I'm not much of a mechanic.

·
Registered
17,016 Posts
major pain for an oddball engine , from what I've read

if you are gonna tackle a big project like that, consider a 3.0 or 3.6

others with experience will chime in, hate to see posts go unanswered for very long.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I considered a JDM 2.0l "refresh" for my '02 WRX -- and a HP upgrade for my n.a. Forester -- the info I found seemed to focus mostly on wiring harness issues and ECU issues. I ended up going in a different direction (one reason I am on this board), and it was about tow years ago, so I am liable to be forgetting some stuff. The typically low mileage is SUPER enticing. There is a major importer in Canada about 2 hours from me, so I keep thinking "what if?"...

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
There are a few routes to take when completing this swap. I'll refer to the "Triangle of Modification"; you can have it done fast, right, or cheap: pick two.

Fast and cheap is just using the JDM longblock (heads+block) and transferring your intake, wiring, and turbo setup. This gets you back on the road and the car will work fine commuting back and forth to work.

Fast and right is buying the matching harnesses, ECU/BIU/Cluster/Keys, downpipe, etc. NOT cheap (most parts would be sourced from overseas).

Cheap and right is using the JDM longblock, transferring your intake/wiring/turbo setup, AND getting a tune afterwards.

Of course, there are varying levels of "right/correct" in this swap (you can use the JDM turbo setup, but requires modification to the turbo-back exhaust system, for example), all the way up to the full-functionality, full capability of the dual AVCS, turbo, and engine management.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wouldn't do it if your paying a shop to do the swap. They will get the engine running and driving but not necessarily running right. I think it is a much better project for DIY who researches and knows what they are getting into.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts