Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a harness somewhere that will allow me to use my AUX 3.5mm center console plug with a 3.5mm aftermarket unit?

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
If a radio or other audio appliance has a 3.5mm output, it should work. Be careful about volume levels as some cheaper "stuff" may overload the system.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,439 Posts
Is there a harness somewhere that will allow me to use my AUX 3.5mm center console plug with a 3.5mm aftermarket unit?
Just want to make sure I understand you- you want a no-splice option to connect your existing console jack with (random) pinout on an aftermarket head unit? ...or from the Subaru wire to a 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo plug?

I don't know of one, but SVXdc probably has one or could make one from memory. He is a user on a few subaru boards, and he has mastered the entertainment wiring in these cars. He sells harnesses and adapters. He really helped me out when I needed some adapters for my JDM conversion project.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
354 Posts
It's called Radio Shack ;). Just a thin cable with a 3.5mm male jack on both ends. I use one frequently to stream music from my smartphone.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I don't know of one, but SVXdc probably has one or could make one from memory. He is a user on a few subaru boards, and he has mastered the entertainment wiring in these cars. He sells harnesses and adapters. He really helped me out when I needed some adapters for my JDM conversion project.
Here is his website.

Subaru radio and radio wiring harness information

If it CAN be done, he's the one that can do it. I believe his is a member here too..

I haven't looked at the wiring, but I can aonly assume there are 3 pins. A R channel, left Channel and ground. I would say a volt meter and spare 3.5mm wire could probably get you some answers too.

It's called Radio Shack ;). Just a thin cable with a 3.5mm male jack on both ends. I use one frequently to stream music from my smartphone.
I think you misunderstood the question ;)

It's whether you can use the jack for an aftermarket radio. The back side is not your normal 3.5mm jack.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
Here is his website.

Subaru radio and radio wiring harness information

If it CAN be done, he's the one that can do it. I believe his is a member here too..

I haven't looked at the wiring, but I can aonly assume there are 3 pins. A R channel, left Channel and ground. I would say a volt meter and spare 3.5mm wire could probably get you some answers too.
I actually just went through this myself with a HU to replace my "premium" 6-speaker audio in my 2013. And it can be done. In my case, I have two plugs that go into the stock HU. One carries the bulk of the signals, and is what the meta harness connects to. The second one is a 16-pin plug which contains the Mic lines, the AUX lines, and I believe a couple other things. I was able to get a harness from him which plugged into that secondary harness, and exposed RCA left/right audio to plug into my aftermarket HU. Worked perfectly.

For the USB, I had to get a little more inventive, but I got that working as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts