Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or is it okay to use a high quality filter ie wix or amsoil. I have the wix specs nothing from amsoil yet

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
is it okay to use a high quality filter ie wix or amsoil.

short answer - yes.

long answer, Subaru filters (in addition to being of high quality generally) are equipped with a bypass valve set at 23psi. This value is higher than 'most' aftermarket filters (I recently read there is a Wix filter that is set at the Subaru bypass value.) Most owners doing reasonable maintenance are unlikely to ever detect a difference in engine performance or lifespan. However, Subaru filters are not expensive, particularly if purchased in sets of 3 or 6 from an online dealer such as subarugenuineparts and others. Your local dealer may even match prices.

others will likely chime in with their own opinions.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have had good luck with Wix.
I did go to the dealer and purchase the aluminum crush rings for the drain bolt. I think I bought ten and I have several left.

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
doesn't matter.

google oil and oil filter questions and read all day long. no need for *another* thread. everyone likes to talk about oil and oil filters, i suppose because it's the one question where everyone is right - because it doesn't matter.

this question is more about personality than anything else. that you're asking and researching suggests you are strongly focused on oil so to that end you'll probably be the personality type that wants to use OEM. if you're worried about it, go OEM, there's certainly nothing wrong with that. but truth is these engines routinely see 200,000 miles and choice of oil or oil filter has nothing to do with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
idosubaru
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing