Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a first time Subaru owner and just recently purchased
a 2001 Outback H6.

I have a few questions concerning Synthetic Oil. Currently I
am using regular oil and am considering switching over to
synthetic.

- how long can I go between oil changes on synthetic? The delear
says every 6000km. Can I go longer than that?

- what brand of synhetic oil is best for Subarus?

- what brand of oil filter should I use? Is the standard Subaru
brand good enough for synthetic?

- are there any major advantages to using Synthetic or should I just
save my money and keep using regular oil?

- I live in Toronto, I don't know if the winter climate will be harsh
on the regular oil.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
'02 H6 Sedan - gone :(
169 Posts
if you haven't already...do a search here for 'synthetic'

i personally prefer Amsoil (i'm not a dealer or affiliated in any way)

plenty of info here & on Amsoil site...read up then you'll have to make your own decision.

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Check out the oil testing being done by some people

macdakoo said:
- how long can I go between oil changes on synthetic? The delear
says every 6000km. Can I go longer than that?
- are there any major advantages to using Synthetic or should I just
save my money and keep using regular oil?
I can't say much about the other things asked, only that 6000 km is only about 4000 mi, which is not far for an all-synthetic type. I think some people will go 10000 km (~6000 mi) between changes. Others like to go ahead and spend the money, I guess, and have cleaner engines by doing it more often than needed. My truck was averaging 7500 miles (not km) per oil change.

If I remember right, the price difference of synthetic and regular oil is on the order of 3 to 4 times. If changing the oil every 10000 miles (~16000 kilometers) good chance you still lose money but gain in gas mileage, less engine wear and the convenience.

If you go through with this changeover watch out for more oil consumption. Although, I don't know if a 3 year old car would be a problem. Just that the synthetic stuff might get past piston rings easier. I don't know enough to say if this would be trouble for anyone.

I don't baby my vehicles too much. Spring and Autumn oil changes (Mobil1 synthetic), filter (Fram) every other time. Sometimes changing the filter without skipping simply because of the longer interval involved. I think it's recommended to do the oil filter each time.

Keep in mind I'm the proud owner of a 1 week old Outback Sport and know little to nothing about Subaru. Not to mention, I also consider myself to be very casual in the knowledge department. If I learn something I'm lucky if I put it to use versus not caring enough to do so.
:p

Hey now, this is interesting, found while dual-surfing the 'net. A real life synthetic oil road test, still ongoing. Mobil1 vs AMSoil:
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

·
Registered
2020 Outback LDF MSRP $37,383
104 Posts
roo - I wish NEPTUNE would hurry up their oil comparisons.. The choice - for me - will be between Amsoil and Moil 1. And I hate the way Amsoil gets their product to market - This is what has caused me to NOT use Amsoil yet. BUT if the oil REALLY is superior - I guess I'll bite the bullett and become one......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts