Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I used my 2005 OB 3.0 to jump start another car tonight. After I got the other car started, I noticed there is a strange clicking noise coming from under the dash on the drivers side. It sounds like some sort of a relay that keeps trying to reset every 20 seconds or so. Has anyone else come across this, and if so what did you have to do to fix it?
Thank you!
Kurt

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Having just poked around at relays under there, let me refer you to the image attached to this post: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/44728-need-some-help-seriously-3.html#post422253
That's supposed to be the layout of the relays next to the fuse box below the steering wheel.

To get to them, you'll have to take off the black bottom trim piece (just above your feet) by unscrewing two plastic anchors a quarter-turn or so (they pop up, and may be pulled out). Then, take the one screw out of the knee panel (bottom, right side) and gently remove it, accounting for the 4 or 5 clips along the top, and maybe 3 along the bottom/sides.

The relay box should be right there; put your finger on each one to feel if it's the one clicking. For reference, flip the fog lights on/off and see what the relay feels like.

Hopefully yours match right up to that diagram; let us know what one it is!

·
Registered
172 Posts
weird, i jumped my wife's car recently and hear some clicking sounds in the same area as you. i can't say for sure it happened right after, however. it also doesn't always do it, def. in the morning, during a 15 min. drive to work, but not in the pm. it's not regular, like every 20 sec., but noticeable.

please pst back w/ what you find? i have a HELLUVA time getting myself situated to get under the dash: i have a big head, wear glasses w/ bifocals, can't get comfortable, poor lighting. bah!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to take the trim panels off under the dash to see if I could find out what was clicking. The noise seems to be coming from a box that I think is some sort of a security/immobilizer control. I will snoop around the forums here to see if I can find a solution.
Kurt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
marcc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing