Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a used 2010 or 2011 Outback this coming spring. I am aware of the steering wheel shake, but I have a few questions about it. Is the steering wheel shake something that showed up right away in these cars, or would develop over time? I am guessing the car I buy will probably have between 20K and 30K miles. Would the shake be gone from the car by this point, or would it possibly still show up at some point? This will be my first Subaru. My parents have an 09, and I drove it, and liked it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
First, you are gambling by buying a used car. Second, you are trying to predict what defects it will have. Third, you are trying to figure out what predicted defects will be fixed before you bought that used car. Your original question has no definite answer, unless you have a crystal ball :2:It is the same if you would ask how long that used outback will last :8:
I love the negativity and aggressiveness of a lot of people on this forum.

The shaking steering wheel is well documented and has a long thread on it. It seems like people will either have it from the start or they dont. Don't quote me on that, do give it a read.

I'd bring the car you find to a reputable mechanic to do an overall inspection just incase the seller didnt list any damages done prior.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
It seems like people will either have it from the start or they dont.
Nope, lots of people got the shakes after a few thousand miles.

Personally, I would never recommend that anyone buy a used '10-11 OB. Just not worth it, IMO. If you're dead set on doing so, make sure to take a long highway test drive to see if the shakes are present. If they aren't and you decide to buy one, enjoy it and forget about the shakes until/if they show up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the replys. I think I will look for a 2012, or possibly a new OB. Either that, or go for the generation before this one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I appreciate the replys. I think I will look for a 2012, or possibly a new OB. Either that, or go for the generation before this one.
I went through the same thought process as you did, used 2010 then 2012 and finally ended up getting a new 2013 2.5i Premium. Price difference between a used 2011+ was within 3-4k of new prices. Pulled the trigger on a 2013 because 2012 wasn't too far off (1k difference). Very happy with my purchase. But with any new car, you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Look at your local market and see if it would be more cost effective to buy new. You may not be able to find a suitable used Outback being sold for much less than a new one.

As it's been stated before you do gamble with a used car. In many cases there's a reason that it's being sold or was traded in so early. I understand the desire to save a buck or two and get some extra options but you should ask yourself if those are options you really need and if your money would better spent on a brand new Outback.

·
Registered
63 Posts
2011 is a pretty safe bet if the manufacturing date is after Jan/Feb of 2011 when the TSBs were incorporated on the assembly line. I called SOA to check this before I bought and that's what I was told. My April 2011 Outback is smooth as silk at any speed, but I did make sure to get it over 70 MPH on my test drive.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Used should be a significant savings if you shop around. We bought our 05 XT used from the dealer. It was one of their test cars, so only had about 5k on it, but sold for about 7k less than List (so probably 4k less than what we could have gotten a new one for in reality).

You just have to look around and try to play the dealerships against each other.

Personally, I think I'll always buy used, and probably always from private sales, but I was talked in to this one by, yes, the wife.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Used should be a significant savings if you shop around.
Definitely, and your local market makes a big difference. I got my Pre-Owned Certified 2011 for $7000 less than new with 3300 miles on the odometer and a new Subaru warranty. I had to work to get that price, but it helped that they're not that popular where I live.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The shaking steering wheel is well documented and has a long thread on it. It seems like people will either have it from the start or they dont. Don't quote me on that, do give it a read.
I've purchased my 2010 2.5 limited September of 2009, have 43k on the clock and no shakes at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
ricyoon
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing