Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just got a used Rear Upper Control Arm for my 2011 Outback. As shown in the photo the ball joint boot has a few small cracks. Is this a problem? The ball joint itself is still pretty stiff. Thanks!
Helmet Finger Gas Thumb Sports gear

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,403 Posts
I would not install it. That cracked boot will get worse, allow moisture and debris into the ball joint, and accelerate the eventual failure of the ball joint.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,403 Posts
Yeah, but the ball joint may have already been compromised.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,769 Posts
That boot looks like it may have been damaged when the control arm was removed.
Is the joint still tight? Should be quite stiff when trying to move it.

If you can't get a different control arm, you could seal up that small tear with rubber cement.
Also, squeeze the boot to see if any water had gotten into it.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,403 Posts
Yep, in my opinion it is never a good idea to install used suspension parts. Too much is at stake, especially if doing so ruins your tires in short order.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That boot looks like it may have been damaged when the control arm was removed.
Is the joint still tight? Should be quite stiff when trying to move it.

If you can't get a different control arm, you could seal up that small tear with rubber cement.
Also, squeeze the boot to see if any water had gotten into it.
The ball Joint itself is still very stiff when I try to move it. So the ball joint itself doesnt seem to have any issues.
Thanks, I might try a bit of rubber cement to seal it. It does not seem like any water/moisture has gotten into it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What was wrong in the first place that you needed to buy a used control arm?

Being used. I'd take it back.
The ball joint on the current upper control arm on my outback is worn and has a lot of play. So I decided to get a used one from a used autoparts supplier, as a brand new one is quite expensive here in New Zealand.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
4,614 Posts
I agree with others that this is not the type of part I would put used on. With that said -- I understand your reasoning for going with used component.

It appears that type of seal-damage was caused when it was removed.... Personally, when I do buy used parts, I INSIST on good used parts ... not damaged ones. (like steering-rack, alternator, starter...etc)

If you are unable to go back to the used-part supplier and get a GOOD part. ... clean the rubber with 90% isopropol alcohol and put a blob of silicone over the damaged area. This should be sufficent to protect the ball/socket.

Use wire-wheel to prep the mounting-surfaces by removing rust. This will make install/removal easier in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with others that this is not the type of part I would put used on. With that said -- I understand your reasoning for going with used component.

It appears that type of seal-damage was caused when it was removed.... Personally, when I do buy used parts, I INSIST on good used parts ... not damaged ones. (like steering-rack, alternator, starter...etc)

If you are unable to go back to the used-part supplier and get a GOOD part. ... clean the rubber with 90% isopropol alcohol and put a blob of silicone over the damaged area. This should be sufficent to protect the ball/socket.

Use wire-wheel to prep the mounting-surfaces by removing rust. This will make install/removal easier in the future.
Thanks for all the advice. Will definitely get new ones for these types of parts in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts