Subaru Outback Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
I'm old fashioned and used to always dump the factory oil at 1000 miles but cars have changed quite a bit over the years. Oil doesn't need to be changed every 3000 miles (except for that first oil change which should be done at 3000) so you shouldn't be changing out that break in oil until you hit the 3000 mile mark.

As others have said you can put the 40 in but your engine will work harder. If you live in a colder state it would be even worse in the winter.

Engines are not manufactured as they were in the olden days. The machining process is much more precise so oils like 0w20 are going to be more common for the sake of efficiency.

·
Registered
73 Posts
you are much better off buying the OEM Subaru oil and filters (at least until the warranty is up) This will give you more legs to stand on if there is ever a mechanical problem with the engine during the warranty period. Also, keep your receipts.

Wrong, use the correct oil (ie - 0w-20) and filter spec set in the owners manual and you're ok. Subaru makes neither oil or filters, they only stamp thier oils and filters with thier name. Yes keep receiipts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
To oversimplify, the first number is cold viscosity (start up or severe cold). The second number is hot viscosity (operating temp). If the recommendation is 0w20, then you can substitute anything with the last number of 20. You could also do a 30 if you felt like it. But a 40 is diesel and high temp territory. No need for that. It wouldn't hurt anything other than your mpg, but there's no reason to do it unless you were driving through the desert uphill.

Reasonable substitutes for 0w20 would be a 5w20, 0w30, or 5w30. Anything over that would be pointless. The only reason they recommend 0w20 over the previous 5w30 is efficiency. It is simply to help with gas mileage.
Simply not true, correctly the last number is a thicker viscosity. Most modern engines require thinner viscosities due to the newer engines being built to much closer tolerances. I higher viscosity prevents proper lubrication.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
Wrong, use the correct oil (ie - 0w-20) and filter spec set in the owners manual and you're ok. Subaru makes neither oil or filters, they only stamp thier oils and filters with thier name. Yes keep receiipts.
Wrong - really? Of course Subaru does not make their own oils or filters. Why would you go to the dealer and buy the wrong viscosity and the wrong filter for the vehicle?
I am an AMSOIL dealer and still use the Subie branded oil and filter while the car is under warranty so there is "absolutely" no chance they will try to deny a warranty claim based on oil. It actually is not that expensive compared to the Synthetics at the auto parts store.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts