Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie to the newer Subaru generation cars and am continuing to learn a lot from this great site.

I'm working on a standard 2007 Outback limited with a seized engine from the previous owner (they ran it out of oil). I knew it was siezed when I bought it.

Question: if my existing 2007 (V25) heads are still good (and I don't know if they are at this point because I haven't taken the heads off and inspected them yet) can I swap them on a good 2005 Outback short block and run the engine using all my 2007 engine electronics and other physical parts like intake, etc..? I understand that the 2005 block is a one year only animal with its own special piston/rods configuration.

Thank you,
-dave

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
It depends on the 05 block.

If its a federal-emissions donor, it would work. Cali-emissions, no.

Also, you'll need to change these to the donor block:

PCV nipple
oil pump
oil pan
pan baffle
pickup
dipstick

Also, to be exact, the 05 federal pistons are different than the 06+ pistons. It does lower the compression slightly and may cause issues long term, but of the several I've done, it runs just fine for the daily driver crowd.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the pointers!

Now, I need to educate myself on what a California spec engine configuration looks like. Hopefully I have a Federal 2007 block and the donor is a 2005 federal block.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It depends on the 05 block.

If its a federal-emissions donor, it would work. Cali-emissions, no.

Also, you'll need to change these to the donor block:

PCV nipple
oil pump
oil pan
pan baffle
pickup
dipstick

Also, to be exact, the 05 federal pistons are different than the 06+ pistons. It does lower the compression slightly and may cause issues long term, but of the several I've done, it runs just fine for the daily driver crowd.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so I've discovered that my 2007 Outback is a California emissions sticker Car. That eliminates using the 2005 Outback block, right?

Does that also mean I must find another California emission engine block (2006 to 2010 I think) to run in my 2007 California Emission car? Or can I use any 2006 and later 2.5 engine (wrecked car, JDM, ebay engine, wrecking yard, etc...) and strap all my existing california stuff on it like exhaust, intake, sensors, etc... and run it?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
@vwzzuk luckily, Subaru harmonized the emissions/engine stuff for 2006+. So your 07 being Cali-spec is of no consequence. The 05 block will still work.

Now, if you have access to an 06+ block, that would be a direct swap (and preferable). However, those are not as easy to find without a complete motor (or cheap).

·
Registered
44 Posts
From what I understand the pistons are different on 06+ due to AVLS, not due to emissions configuration. For 2005 and earlier, the pistons are different between Federal and California, but exactly how they differ I'm not entirely sure. The blocks are otherwise the same. Your best bet is to get an '06+ block unless you want to get involved with changing pistons.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
From what I understand the pistons are different on 06+ due to AVLS, not due to emissions configuration. For 2005 and earlier, the pistons are different between Federal and California, but exactly how they differ I'm not entirely sure. The blocks are otherwise the same. Your best bet is to get an '06+ block unless you want to get involved with changing pistons.
You are correct, the 06 cut-off is due to the pistons. Ideally, an 06+ block is what you want to maintain optimal engine output, emissions, originality, etc. However, if an older (05 or previous Federal block) is available/free, it works just fine. No valve clearance issues, head compatibility issues, etc. You cannot, however, go the other way around (06+ block/pistons with -05 heads).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great info!

I just found an 06 block a few hours away but it has a rod knock. It's available as a core pretty cheap with heads I think. The 2005 ran great according to the previous owner. Timing belt broke in a front end accident and it has under 120K on it.

I've not taken an EJ25 block apart before but have done an 1984 Brat engine. I had trouble sealing it up at the case halfs to my liking because it still had oil residue in the block.

Do the EJ25's have a fairly easy bearing replacement approach? Any different than earlier models. I suppose I could get to 3 of the rods through the oil pan but not the 4th one since its behind the case halfs. I believe this engine is below 150K miles. Hummmm.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Do the EJ25's have a fairly easy bearing replacement approach? Any different than earlier models. I suppose I could get to 3 of the rods through the oil pan but not the 4th one since its behind the case halfs. I believe this engine is below 150K miles. Hummmm.
Unfortunately, it does require splitting the case halves to replace the rod bearings (correctly). Plus, if the rod bearing(s) are shot, it's 99% likely a new crankshaft is required. Frankly, I haven't dissected an EJ motor with an audible rod knock and found the crank to be usable (with 100+ motors torn apart).

You could get lucky and the rest of the block is in good shape (cylinder walls, bore alignment, etc), but that's also a long shot. If they ran it low enough on oil to cause rod knock, it's likely the piston pins have stuck and gouged the cylinder walls (via the piston skirts).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
3 Participants
RoughDiamond
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing