Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 3 week old Subaru Outback Touring 3.6, I cannot seem to make Android Auto work. When I plug my Android phone into the USB port under the head I get an error message suggesting that I unplug and wait a few minutes and try again. This is a new cord and NOT a cheap one. I tried a different cord and same results. The cord work great for charging in that same port, just no data transfer. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get back to the dealer and was wondering if anyone has a suggestion.

Thank you

·
Registered
572 Posts
Have you connected your phone to your PC's USB ports? And then enabled data transfer by pressing allow data transfer on the phone's touchscreen to download photos or whatever? If so use that USB cable. Your phone should auto connect to AA when you plug in your phone. You might try deleting AA from your phone & reinstalling a fresh copy. That's all I can think of to help you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you connected your phone to your PC's USB ports? And then enabled data transfer by pressing allow data transfer on the phone's touchscreen to download photos or whatever? If so use that USB cable. Your phone should auto connect to AA when you plug in your phone. You might try deleting AA from your phone & reinstalling a fresh copy. That's all I can think of to help you.
Yes, I tried a different cord and no joy. I connected my cord to my laptop and data transferred just fine.

I just uninstalled Android Auto from my phone and re installed. I will check it out next time I am in the car.

·
Registered
923 Posts
You wouldn't happen to have an LG V30 phone would you? Don't ask me why I'm asking you. Let's just say I burned a few hours over the course of two days getting my phone to work. My wife on the other hand - her Google Pixel 2 worked right off the bat. Same cable. And that was a good test... the cable and the head unit works, but my phone was not happy.

I'll tell you how I have my phone set up, and maybe you can configure yours similarly and re-try.

1). After installing AA, and without it connected to the USB cable, launch it.
You'd better see some blocky rounded rectangles popup. In other-words the program shouldn't launch and then disappear on you.
2). Choose the 3-horizontal lines upper left (the Menu Icon).
3). Select Settings
4). For General,
I have Limit Wi-Fi off.
When I select Accepted Cars, I have "Subaru" selected. For Rejected cars, I have None selected.
5), For "OK Google" detection, currently I only have "while driving" turned on
For Google Assistant, I haven't made any changes yet.
6) For Autolaunch, I have it selected OFF. The rest of the settings won't matter if it's OFF.
7) For System Google Analytics, I have that turned on. I think Google needs a lot of data to really hone this app, specially when it crashes. YMMV

Now then, for me? I think the thing that helped my phone to work were two-fold.
A), I power on the head unit. I wake up the phone. I do not have to explicitly launch AA on my phone. It does so when I connect the USB cable.
B). I have gone into Settings on my Phone. General | Apps & notifications | Special Access|Unrestricted Data Access, then when the App list comes up, I enable Android Auto to have unrestricted Data Access.

Reboot your phone.
Now I seem to be able to get my phone to connect to the head-unit if I do or if I don't launch AA. You can try it both ways.
If I see a message on the HU to plug and unplug my phone, I just ignore it. A few seconds later, AA will launch on the phone, and the Head Unit display will be taken over. On my LG, and I don't know why but I think AA is not fully baked yet, even though I've told it before it has all priviledges, it asks me to Allow or Deny access. I can just refuse to answer that question on my phone, and things still work fine. I can do an Accept, and that works fine too. I do not think you should select Deny.

If I go into AA on the phone, and select it's settings, I am running Ver 4.4.592334-release. You might try uninstalling and reinstalling the app again from the Google PlayStore, set the settings like mine and perform one more reboot then plug your cable in..

Let me know if this has helped you or not. Trust me, others are having problems with AA, and they had working versions until recently, but I think they did a new release a few days ago. Hopefully they undid what they did. :)

Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You wouldn't happen to have an LG V30 phone would you? Don't ask me why I'm asking you. Let's just say I burned a few hours over the course of two days getting my phone to work. My wife on the other hand - her Google Pixel 2 worked right off the bat. Same cable. And that was a good test... the cable and the head unit works, but my phone was not happy.

I'll tell you how I have my phone set up, and maybe you can configure yours similarly and re-try.

1). After installing AA, and without it connected to the USB cable, launch it.
You'd better see some blocky rounded rectangles popup. In other-words the program shouldn't launch and then disappear on you.
2). Choose the 3-horizontal lines upper left (the Menu Icon).
3). Select Settings
4). For General,
I have Limit Wi-Fi off.
When I select Accepted Cars, I have "Subaru" selected. For Rejected cars, I have None selected.
5), For "OK Google" detection, currently I only have "while driving" turned on
For Google Assistant, I haven't made any changes yet.
6) For Autolaunch, I have it selected OFF. The rest of the settings won't matter if it's OFF.
7) For System Google Analytics, I have that turned on. I think Google needs a lot of data to really hone this app, specially when it crashes. YMMV

Now then, for me? I think the thing that helped my phone to work were two-fold.
A), I power on the head unit. I wake up the phone. I do not have to explicitly launch AA on my phone. It does so when I connect the USB cable.
B). I have gone into Settings on my Phone. General | Apps & notifications | Special Access|Unrestricted Data Access, then when the App list comes up, I enable Android Auto to have unrestricted Data Access.

Reboot your phone.
Now I seem to be able to get my phone to connect to the head-unit if I do or if I don't launch AA. You can try it both ways.
If I see a message on the HU to plug and unplug my phone, I just ignore it. A few seconds later, AA will launch on the phone, and the Head Unit display will be taken over. On my LG, and I don't know why but I think AA is not fully baked yet, even though I've told it before it has all priviledges, it asks me to Allow or Deny access. I can just refuse to answer that question on my phone, and things still work fine. I can do an Accept, and that works fine too. I do not think you should select Deny.

If I go into AA on the phone, and select it's settings, I am running Ver 4.4.592334-release. You might try uninstalling and reinstalling the app again from the Google PlayStore, set the settings like mine and perform one more reboot then plug your cable in..

Let me know if this has helped you or not. Trust me, others are having problems with AA, and they had working versions until recently, but I think they did a new release a few days ago. Hopefully they undid what they did. :)

Good luck.
I removed and re installed Android Auto on my phone and voila. All is good.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
221 Posts
I removed and re installed Android Auto on my phone and voila. All is good.

Thanks guys
Get used to issues with AA (the app, not the integration in the head unit). I run into problems where it works great one day, then an update comes through and have the things that worked yesterday no longer work. Then a patch is released and most things get fixed, but not all.

Example, routines used to work...probably over a year ago. Since then, they don't. I can ask for each thing individually ("what's the weather", "what's the news", "how's my commute", etc. But say "good morning" so it'll automatically run through all that, nope...I get "that isn't supported at this time".)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Get used to issues with AA (the app, not the integration in the head unit). I run into problems where it works great one day, then an update comes through and have the things that worked yesterday no longer work. Then a patch is released and most things get fixed, but not all.
Yep. I've now gotten used to the process of when an update comes down, AA goes stupid. Have to remove the app from my phone and re-install it. Had to do to it on the most recent update, again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It is hit or miss in our 2019 2.5 premium. I haven't used it in our 2019 limited 3.6R yet. I guess the app isn't stable yet. Hopefully it stabilizes over the coming months to make it less painful to use.

·
Registered
211 Posts
We are not alone. This problem spans many car manufacturers and phones but primarily Android 9 (Pie)

My advice is to try another cable you already own but if it's not damaged and was working yesterday I wouldn't waste my $ on another cable. Buying a new cable is Google's advice not unlike IT asking you to reboot your computer when you have a paper jam.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm using Samsung Galaxy S8 and initially had spotty success getting AA to connect (around 50%). Found a tip on the Android forum to make sure "USB Debugging" was turned OFF on the phone's developer's settings .. That seems to have fixed everything, connecting up 100% of the time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just did that plus I turned off my Bluetooth. I set AA to start my Bluetooth. I was noticing that with bluetooth always on it would start my AA on my phone before plugging in the USB cable. There was some indication that it was occasionally causing a conflict.
So debugging is off. Bluetooth is set to off but AA turns it on. Now when I plug in my cable AA starts up which starts Bluetooth.

For the moment it is all working but we shall see...

One behaviour change for me is for short trips where I keep my phone in my pocket I will have to remember to toggle BT on to receive calls.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
So I'm a good trouble shooter but I'm also very impatient. After many reboots and door openings it did work again. Only this time I did not toggle "Want to use the new AA?" And I waited for the radio to turn itself off. When that happens you get the Caution splash screen as it starts again.

Now the screen started like my phone looks with a chunky home screen. Then I turned on directions and chose Waze. Even Waze looks different.

I will keep you posted but for now I need a break.

With AA I may have to visit the local AA. Android Anonymous 😉

·
Registered
345 Posts
Do you get that "wanna try the new one?" prompt every time you connect? If so, note there's a similar toggle in the settings of the AA app on the phone. If you answer yes there, maybe it will quit asking you every time on the vehicle screen?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Do you get that "wanna try the new one?" prompt every time you connect?
Yes and there in lies the problem. Over this last week, if I toggle yes on the phone or yes on the HU the app gives me a different layout but has failed to connect via USB within a day or less.

I did the whole Hokey Pokey and removed everything everywhere and restarted with the version presented and have it working. Only after satisfying my curiosity that this version is not prone to failure will I try the new AA.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Interesting. I didn't get an option, it said there's a new version and that was that.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
About this Discussion
119 Replies
23 Participants
Cortelli
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing