Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Interesting. I subscribed to a few threads on Android Auto and google reps locked then all down. They state if you are still having issues to open a new thread. Still having issues? YES. So rather than solve the problem they close the tread.

I'm still getting the impression that it's how you disconnect the phone that causes the issues.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Slightly different issue, and hope I'm not thread-jacking.

I too have had sporadic failures with AA and usually uninstalling and re-installing the app works.

I still occasionally have a curious issue - when plugging in the phone and presumably after a handshake is made with AA since it is always a few seconds later, seeming to coincide with the HU pop-up (when safe, check phone), I'll lose sound out of the front speakers. Back still working; front silent. Unplugging and replugging usually fixes it (sometimes have to do so twice, rarely three times).

I've only ever lost the front speakers once or twice when AA wasn't in play. It's entirely possible I have a loose connection somewhere in my car's system, but was wondering if others encounter this in plugging in a phone. I think I saw others so state, but I haven't yet figured out an efficient way to search since the forum software change. Just curious if this is familiar to others or unfamiliar enough that I should task a dealer to investigate before my standard warranty runs (a while from now).
I've also been dealing with this problem. It seems that the system is treating the phone's charging beep like it does other notifications (sms/facebook etc). It usually does this by playing the notification through the front speakers while continuing music through the back, except the beep is played through the PHONE and this confuses the HU.

a quick fix for it is to hit the voice command button which opens google assistant and forces a notification sound through the front speakers. Hit it again quickly to cancel the request (just after the sound but before the thing starts listening) and you'll notice the music return to all speakers

·
Registered
141 Posts
Maybe it's the phone. My S7 had some serious bluetooth issues with my Jeep...
It probably had more to do with Jeep's Uconnect feature than it did with your phone. My S7 also had serious issues with BT connections in my 2011 Jeep Liberty. So did my S3 before that. With the OB I've had no issues at all with either BT or AA with regard to connectivity. I did have a minor issue with Waze and AA but the car's recent software update seems to have solved that.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I've also been dealing with this problem. It seems that the system is treating the phone's charging beep like it does other notifications (sms/facebook etc). It usually does this by playing the notification through the front speakers while continuing music through the back, except the beep is played through the PHONE and this confuses the HU.

a quick fix for it is to hit the voice command button which opens google assistant and forces a notification sound through the front speakers. Hit it again quickly to cancel the request (just after the sound but before the thing starts listening) and you'll notice the music return to all speakers
Thanks for the tip - will give it a try next time it happens!

And I wanted to post a follow-up on the "unlock phone first" aspect. After a week of plugging in my unlocked phone, both before and after starting the car, AA seems to boot up fine with only the occasional issues that otherwise sometimes occur when plugging in unlocked phone after car start.

So thank you compadres for helping me "unlearn" an unnecessary activity! I no longer feel the need to unlock phone, start car, and then plug in USB cord.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I've recently switched the setting to auto-start AA when it detects the Head Unit's BT "Subaru BT". I cannot say it's made things rock solid but I rarely have any problem. If I do - because I'm using that super cool, slick, easy to use, state of the art, great value, very reliable, inexpensive, impress your friends and family magnetic USB cable I mentioned, it's so easy to just pull it off and snap it back on... And I don't have to worry about the physical cycles on my USB port! I just have to remember to say "Ta Da". That seems to bring me happiness.

In all seriousness, I don't think I'm going to pursue Wireless AA with the use of an Android TV dongle or old phone. I've got other things more pressing now like a squeaking driver's seat and a driver's side mirror that will not do my bidding.

The new AA user interface has a lot going for it. The thing that is quirky is when I call up the assistant, it doesn't always present the "beep" first. I've also learned to stop saying OK Google. I think you can do so to bring up the assistant, but I always press the Speak button on the steering wheel to do so.

·
Registered
211 Posts
a quick fix for it is to hit the voice command button which opens google assistant and forces a notification sound through the front speakers.
This fixed an issue I had with my volume knob. As I was trying to increase the volume of a radio station I noticed it made no difference to the radio but was messing with my map volume. I hit assistant and then cancelled. Then my volume was back adjusting the radio again

·
Registered
115 Posts
This fixed an issue I had with my volume knob. As I was trying to increase the volume of a radio station I noticed it mad no difference to the radio but was messing with my map volume. I hit assistant and then cancelled. Then my volume was back adjusting the radio again
REALLY?!?!

I'm going to try that next time, because it's ALWAYS happening to me. Driving me nucking futs!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
This fixed an issue I had with my volume knob. As I was trying to increase the volume of a radio station I noticed it made no difference to the radio but was messing with my map volume. I hit assistant and then cancelled. Then my volume was back adjusting the radio again
I have this happen to me too, but I've never tried the assistant trick.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It probably had more to do with Jeep's Uconnect feature than it did with your phone. My S7 also had serious issues with BT connections in my 2011 Jeep Liberty. So did my S3 before that. With the OB I've had no issues at all with either BT or AA with regard to connectivity. I did have a minor issue with Waze and AA but the car's recent software update seems to have solved that.
Hmm. Maybe. But the S10e has been great on the BT connection in the Jeep. Flawless really, and the sound quality is better. A lot better. (Wish the high-end HK system in the Subie sounded as good as the mid-grade Alpine in the Jeep, BTW. It does not.)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah! The assist button trick is working to get out of the Nav volume issue.

But now the HU is resetting the icon layout, on its own. I get it set up the way I like, then a day or two later, start the car and it's back to it's default layout. Aaarrrggghh!!

Taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see if there is an update, or if they can reload the software. I've already done factory reset, a couple of times.

·
Registered
141 Posts
In a previous post a few weeks ago I mentioned that I was having trouble with Waze maintaining a solid connection with AA. The most recent AA update seemed to help but, it still didn't cure the problem. Today I removed and reinstalled AA from my phone. When I plugged it into the car, the car's display told me to unplug and plug back in to update. Once I did that I set up a short trip in Waze and it maintained the connection without issue for the entire trip. Now my only issue seems to be that Waze audio can't seem to override the audio from Pandora when it wants to issue instructions. t doesn't seem to have any issue with the AM/FM/Sat radio; just Pandora. Minor stuff but we will be taking a long road trip in late December from here to SC and we want to have both Waze and Pandora along for the journey.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yep, my HU needed an update. On REL_1.18.38.50 now. After my last post, I kept trying the check for updates, and I had auto download/install and it would alternate from download failed or no updates available. Weird.

I did do a factory reset on the HU when I got home, cleared AA storage/cache, deleted Bluetooth paired devices, etc.

Just ran into the Nav volume issue, again. Voice assist cleared it up. Time will tell if the rearranging icons happens again.

Also AA doesn't start full screen on HU now, have to select the icon on the HU. But music does resume after the handshake process. Another weird.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yep, my HU needed an update. On REL_1.18.38.50 now. After my last post, I kept trying the check for updates, and I had auto download/install and it would alternate from download failed or no updates available. Weird.

I did do a factory reset on the HU when I got home, cleared AA storage/cache, deleted Bluetooth paired devices, etc.

Just ran into the Nav volume issue, again. Voice assist cleared it up. Time will tell if the rearranging icons happens again.

Also AA doesn't start full screen on HU now, have to select the icon on the HU. But music does resume after the handshake process. Another weird.
You cannot update the HU automatically via wifi

·
Registered
115 Posts
You cannot update the HU automatically via wifi
But if you read the Multimedia Manual and FAQ's on Subaru support, they say yes you can.
Example:

One of these days I'll fire up a packet sniffer on my home network and try to see what data is being transmitted when it checks for updates. Just to see if I can determine the site it's going to and if I can browse around.

It's just to hot out where I live to be sitting in the car with my laptop. When it cools down in a month or two, or three.

·
Registered
115 Posts
But one thing I just stumbled upon about the "Nav Volume" icon on a Non-Nav HU. It's actually Android Auto!!!!

I just figured this out today when I was driving around with AA giving directions, and I just happened to adjust the volume right when it started speaking and adjusting the volume level only affected the voice commands. When AA stopped talking, the volume control went back to adjusting the music volume.

That's really cool in my opinion. I've always felt that the voice volume was to loud, even when I went into Google maps, settings, Navigation Settings, and set the Guidance volume to "Softer". It was still way to loud for me. Now you can adjust it separately from the Music volume.

So now it makes perfect sense why tapping on/off the voice assistant "fixes" being stuck on "Nav volume". It's bad code in AA, not in the Head Unit (maybe).

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
So I haven't been using AA for several days, but today I did for two different drives. I am being prompted to tray out the new version of AA via the head unit (but not if launching AA on my phone away from the car).

Currently on 4.5.592854 with a Galaxy S8; Android version 9.

I went back through the entire thread, and as best I can tell, a few folks are happy with it? Or maybe it was opened up for download and then pulled back? Or it caused new problems? I wasn't in the mood today to roll the dice so I didn't opt to try the new version - but since I am not really intent on always having AA available, I'm thinking I am a prime candidate to be an additional guinea pig and click the option on the HU.

Is there any real consensus, even with the very small data set of posters here who have updated?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I too have the option to use the new interface as well but I don't. The new interface doesn't seem to be any better at connecting with the HU. It's not a Subie issue or an S8 issue. Most phones running Android 9 are having connectivity problems. These problems seem random as no one has pinpointed the root cause. If your phone app is like mine, you can opt to use the new interface (which only changes the display on the HU and not your phone). If you decide to roll back the display you can open AA on your phone and go to settings. There should be a toggle to turn off the advanced display feature.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 120 Posts
About this Discussion
119 Replies
23 Participants
Cortelli
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing