Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just discovered that you can control Waze volume from inside of Waze on Android. First setup a navigation destination. Then tap the ETA bar at the bottom of the screen. When it opens tap the speaker in the upper right hand corner. Make sure that the "Sound On" icon is selected. Just above the "OK" bar select "More sound options". In the next screen that pops up you'll see a slider bar where you can turn up the volume specific to Waze. In my own phone the volume slider bar was set quite low. I'll try this out later today to see if Waze will now override Pandora.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you decide to roll back the display you can open AA on your phone and go to settings. There should be a toggle to turn off the advanced display feature.
Sadly, I no longer have the option. I'm not sure if it's because I changed over awhile ago and never went back or what. But I'm good with the new interface on the HU anyway.

A question for those having connectivity issues. Could you take a look in the settings, Connected Cars. Do you have duplicates in the Accepted cars? I'm wondering if that might be an issue, or not.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sadly, I no longer have the option. I'm not sure if it's because I changed over awhile ago and never went back or what. But I'm good with the new interface on the HU anyway.

A question for those having connectivity issues. Could you take a look in the settings, Connected Cars. Do you have duplicates in the Accepted cars? I'm wondering if that might be an issue, or not.
I did have a duplicate BT connection listed in my phone for the car. The aforementioned uninstall/reinstall of AA seems to have corrected that.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Settings | Apps and Notifications... Locate AA, select it. Clear Cache, Clear Data, Uninstall. re-Install.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Didn't check out the settings on the app. Mine is just the same as yours, so maybe I'll try it out next time and roll back if I want. Of course, the notification says it will be auto-updated at some point . . .

EDIT: This was in response to Wilbour's post #80.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Yesterday I elected to try out the new AA interface. I haven't experimented extensively - just used the new interface. One substantive change I noticed is that launching AA drops me straight into Google Maps (which is my default map choice - if Waze was default, maybe it would launch Waze?).

Other item to note is that I don't see an icon for managing SMS. In the past I have used AA when expecting texts, even if I wasn't using maps or other apps. Unlike the native HU messaging solution, AA let me respond to text via voice (instead of canned answers under native). Will be curious to see how AA handles text messaging.

For those who are curious, here is the new AA homescreen layout (sorry for reflections / dust highlighted - I was just running errands and couldn't prioritize a pristine photoshoot).

I haven't tried reorganizing the homescreen icons or anything yet (I never really use music apps, for example, and they don't need to be prioritized on the top of the page) but will play with it some perhaps today, and maybe ask a kid to help me explore messaging by texting me while out and about.

·
Registered
923 Posts
If you had been using Waze last, it would default to Waze, yes. One enhancement I and others have asked for is a way to turn off the map autolaunch. Only 10% of the time do I need or want to have navigation assistance.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Only 10% of the time do I need or want to have navigation assistance
Interesting. I have my Waze app running 90% of the time. Not for navigating directions as after 34 years I do know how to get to work. I like seeing the live traffic issues while driving. Watching my Radio display is pretty boring. I can get the song and artist title from my dash info display.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yesterday I elected to try out the new AA interface. I haven't experimented extensively - just used the new interface. One substantive change I noticed is that launching AA drops me straight into Google Maps (which is my default map choice - if Waze was default, maybe it would launch Waze?).

Other item to note is that I don't see an icon for managing SMS. In the past I have used AA when expecting texts, even if I wasn't using maps or other apps. Unlike the native HU messaging solution, AA let me respond to text via voice (instead of canned answers under native). Will be curious to see how AA handles text messaging.

For those who are curious, here is the new AA homescreen layout (sorry for reflections / dust highlighted - I was just running errands and couldn't prioritize a pristine photoshoot).

I haven't tried reorganizing the homescreen icons or anything yet (I never really use music apps, for example, and they don't need to be prioritized on the top of the page) but will play with it some perhaps today, and maybe ask a kid to help me explore messaging by texting me while out and about.
The Bell icon on the lower right is for SMS now.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Or you can start Google Assistant (steering wheel button, or "Ok Google") and say "Read my texts" to get your SMS mesages.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Still no messaging experience but thanks for above knowledge.

I did try and reorganize icons on the homepage and can't figure out how to do it (assume it is not possible) - that's one thing I hope changes in the actual release or future releases.

I default to Google maps but sometimes use Waze when unexpected traffic conditions arise. It would be nice to have Waze right next to Maps for convenience rather than on the scroll down page as it exists now.

And though I can count on one hand, maybe two, the number of times I stream music / content while driving, when I do I have gotten used to Play Music (never used Amazon music).

In other words, it would be nice but not necessary to be able to organize the icons the way one can on one's phone home screen. Drag and drop doesn't do anything, and I found it interesting in trying to open "Settings" on the HU to see what was available - it just opens the settings on the phone, nothing on the HU.

On the positive front, I did have one instance of front speakers going quiet, and clicking the voice activation on and off fixed it straightaway!

EDIT I realize I should probably post things like this on an AA forum, but I am about at my limit of the number of forums I visit, and I figure I'd just share here for the benefit of other Subaru owners.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yeah, everyone is sort of bleeding edge when it comes to AA. Doesn't matter make and model of vehicle. AA is changing and morphing, and will change again. It's hard to know where they are going with the product. People on Reddit and even the Google Community for AA are disappointed that functionality of Apple Car Play (like icon positioning I believe) are not in AA.

I have found, selecting AA to start when it detects Subaru BT and then popping on my magnetic USB cable to be very reliable. To be honest though, I think the magnetic field created by the USB cable I'm using causes a bit of infrequent direction confusion when I'm stopped at a light. If someone is curious, you can download a program like Phone Tester, and look at the changes in magnetic flux in the X,Y, and Z directions when you bring the magnetic cable closer to the phone.

For music, I have had good success with Pandora and also TuneIn. I also listen to the NYT's podcast: "The Daily". And when I want to listen to music that is actually stored on my phone (as opposed to streaming), I use Pulsar+. I need to experiment more.

For texting, I generally use WhatsApp with my wife. For my kids, I use regular SMS, and I find the voice recognition of Google Assistant to be very very reliable and easy to use.

I think it's good that you are relating your experiences for the benefit of other Subaru owners. That's a good thing for us to do when we find something that improves the experience.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
[. . . snip . . .]

For music, I have had good success with Pandora and also TuneIn. I also listen to the NYT's podcast: "The Daily". And when I want to listen to music that is actually stored on my phone (as opposed to streaming), I use Pulsar+. I need to experiment more.
I have a SiriusXM subscription in the car, and I almost always listen to that. Comedy and music half-and-half. And maybe as a result of my age and experiences, I sort of like spinning the dial to find something else if I don't want to listen to something starting up on the current channel. I could customize a streaming option to play mostly what I like, but I have some fun exploring from Classic Rock, to X, to Y, to Z, to A, etc. I bump into stuff I'd never listen to regularly or never include on a playlist - but which is a pleasant surprise. There's nothing like the experience of "I really don't want to hear Van Halen's 'Jump' right now . . . let's see what's out there" . . . and bumping into Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" or something even "weirder" / more obscure. I've never really been able to duplicate it when streaming outside of driving. Most of my streaming in the car involves insisting my kids or passengers listen to X after a conversation or another song - that's when I'll fire up some music stored on my phone / cloud -- when I want something specific. The teenagers now roll their eyes if I manually dial something up.

[. . . snip . . .]

I think it's good that you are relating your experiences for the benefit of other Subaru owners. That's a good thing for us to do when we find something that improves the experience.
Thanks! I have found so many good tips and so much information from other users' sharing their experiences (on this forum and others), likes, and dislikes. I post a lot of questionable stuff - but I also find some gems from others who post lots of questionable stuff!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Warning. Personal opinion about audio quality and content follows. YMMV.
I used to travel the top-end of I-285 around Atlanta, and spent about 2hours in the car daily or 10hours weekly just commuting back / forth from/to work. First thing one notices, besides drop-outs with SXM, is that the music sounds seriously companded. By that I mean, suffers from reduction of the dynamic range. Listen to any SXM station, and then compare to something you stream from Pandora, or something you've got on your phone. No comparison.

Second, you drive that much in the car, and you typically listen to maybe six or seven stations... you eventually hear the playlist repeating. I like podcasts so that is something I will do more of, maybe even books on "tape". Ha, tape. I still remember 8-Track. That we thought was great. HA HA to us.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I default to Google maps but sometimes use Waze when unexpected traffic conditions arise. It would be nice to have Waze right next to Maps for convenience rather than on the scroll down page as it exists now.
I believe that when i am using Waze there is an icon top left that let's you switch between the two. Or maybe I'm mistaken

·
Registered
38 Posts
Slightly different issue, and hope I'm not thread-jacking.

I too have had sporadic failures with AA and usually uninstalling and re-installing the app works.

I still occasionally have a curious issue - when plugging in the phone and presumably after a handshake is made with AA since it is always a few seconds later, seeming to coincide with the HU pop-up (when safe, check phone), I'll lose sound out of the front speakers. Back still working; front silent. Unplugging and replugging usually fixes it (sometimes have to do so twice, rarely three times).

I've only ever lost the front speakers once or twice when AA wasn't in play. It's entirely possible I have a loose connection somewhere in my car's system, but was wondering if others encounter this in plugging in a phone. I think I saw others so state, but I haven't yet figured out an efficient way to search since the forum software change. Just curious if this is familiar to others or unfamiliar enough that I should task a dealer to investigate before my standard warranty runs (a while from now).
Same thing happens to me, I brought the car to the dealership and they said nothings wrong. I’ve been living with it, if you find a solution please let me know.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Same thing happens to me, I brought the car to the dealership and they said nothings wrong. I’ve been living with it, if you find a solution please let me know.
See @Basti 's post #64. Too soon to tell if it is a cure all for me, but it has worked for me the one time it has happened since seeing that post.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I believe that when i am using Waze there is an icon top left that let's you switch between the two. Or maybe I'm mistaken
Maybe so! I'll have to check. When I am on the home screen, there's a little icon next to the "home" screen icon - the home screen icon being a circular line around a circle in the lower left. When on home screen, I get a Google Maps icon next to the home button. If in Maps, I get the next icon in my home screen next to the home button, which in my case is an Amazon Music icon (which I never use). Didn't notice if there is a Waze / Maps toggle button of some sort at the top. Cool if so.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Warning. Personal opinion about audio quality and content follows. YMMV.
I used to travel the top-end of I-285 around Atlanta, and spent about 2hours in the car daily or 10hours weekly just commuting back / forth from/to work. First thing one notices, besides drop-outs with SXM, is that the music sounds seriously companded. By that I mean, suffers from reduction of the dynamic range. Listen to any SXM station, and then compare to something you stream from Pandora, or something you've got on your phone. No comparison.

Second, you drive that much in the car, and you typically listen to maybe six or seven stations... you eventually hear the playlist repeating. I like podcasts so that is something I will do more of, maybe even books on "tape". Ha, tape. I still remember 8-Track. That we thought was great. HA HA to us.
I hear you. I never expect great audio quality in my car, and I have never been disappointed (more than expected) or blown away by any audio quality from whatever medium. I'm not nearly enough of an audiophile to notice unless I'm doing "critical" listening, and even when I am doing "critical" listening in a more suitable environment, I am still not nearly enough of an audiophile to take more than momentary pleasure in the quality. I'm "lucky" that way in that I haven't had to upgrade my home systems in more than a decade because I just won't derive enough pleasure from doing so! :confused:

Haven't gotten in to podcasts or books on tape or anything like that in part because I don't spend enough time in the car - I can usually find something entertaining by "spinning the dial" (though I have trouble going back to format FM) and end up listening to something I otherwise wouldn't call up on my own when my favorite stations get that "run down playlist" feel. I happened across Billie Holiday the other day - first time in years even though I have some dusty CDs stored away somewhere and ripped digital files from the CDs on my phone! My teens would hate for me to pull that up :devilish: If I had 10 hours of commute each week, I'd likely have a much different attitude!

81 - 100 of 120 Posts
About this Discussion
119 Replies
23 Participants
Cortelli
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing