Subaru Outback Forums banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I happened across Billie Holiday the other day ... My teens would hate for me to pull that up.
Play them Strange Fruit. Maybe then they'll start to understand. Billie Holiday was a genius ... a flawed genius to be sure, but a genius nonetheless.

·
Registered
923 Posts
@Cortelli - you wrote:
I happened across Billie Holiday the other day - first time in years even though I have some dusty CDs stored away somewhere and ripped digital files from the CDs on my phone!

What? And you don't know where they are or choose not to play them on your car radio? You are kidding right? My wife has 100s of CDs. I got to get ripping!

·
Registered
86 Posts
On my 3 week old Subaru Outback Touring 3.6, I cannot seem to make Android Auto work. When I plug my Android phone into the USB port under the head I get an error message suggesting that I unplug and wait a few minutes and try again. This is a new cord and NOT a cheap one. I tried a different cord and same results. The cord work great for charging in that same port, just no data transfer. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get back to the dealer and was wondering if anyone has a suggestion.

Thank you
On the subject of Android Auto, can someone confirm something for me....I am trying to determine if its just my issue of an issue with AA headunit software. This issue has existed for a long time and I have sent feedback to AA for a fix but nothing has ever happened. The issue is when you try to "share Journey" from the AA headunit. The only contacts that are displayed are my google contacts that have an e-mail address (most have just phone numbers) and they only thing displayed is the name and email address...no phone numbers so all of my contacts with the phone numbers are missing and there is no way to text someone your journey. Now with AA on the handset things work fine under "share Trip Progress" all contacts are displayed. Its the AA headunit software that seems to have the issue. I dont know anyone else that has AA headunit that I can compare with which is why I am asking......would also be nice to know if it works correctly in another brand car AA headuint then maybe its a Subaru HU fix that is needed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Observation... The Starlink 8" w/ and w/o NAV head units' voice recognition will understand commands like Set Temperature and Set Fanspeed, but if you are running AA, it won't process them because of Android Assistant. Question for Carl maybe, or someone who has done more experimentation... Any way to get AA to give the voice command over to Starlink so it processes it?

I ask, because I'd like to know if Subaru ever planned to enhance the commands so we could inquire verbally about Oil or Coolant Temp, Battery Voltage, Set illumination level, Screen on/off, Mode defrost, inquire about tire pressures, and in the 2020, Start/Stop on/off. :devilish: Now wouldn't that be slick and welcomed by owners that want to keep hands on wheel, eyes on road? That would be an example of Subaru bringing it..

It's just software. That would prove the people working the HU were on game and giving their best to Subaru...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Observation... The Starlink 8" w/ and w/o NAV head units' voice recognition will understand commands like Set Temperature and Set Fanspeed, but if you are running AA, it won't process them because of Android Assistant. Question for Carl maybe, or someone who has done more experimentation... Any way to get AA to give the voice command over to Starlink so it processes it?

I ask, because I'd like to know if Subaru ever planned to enhance the commands so we could inquire verbally about Oil or Coolant Temp, Battery Voltage, Set illumination level, Screen on/off, Mode defrost, inquire about tire pressures, and in the 2020, Start/Stop on/off. :devilish: Now wouldn't that be slick and welcomed by owners that want to keep hands on wheel, eyes on road? That would be an example of Subaru bringing it..

It's just software. That would prove the people working the HU were on game and giving their best to Subaru...
They're never going to update software to give you added functionality.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Ah ... the motto of clueless managers everywhere.
Right as a Systems Engineer, I understand this and suffer because of it. I meant to put it in double quotes. I forgot.

Looks like they might not be planning to support Wireless AA, and besides being a decent idea (@iamian I hearby dubbed you @killjoy), it was meant as a tickler for a way to conveniently turn off start/stop if so desired.

Who knows, it may be in there already...

Hey new '20 owners, try it even if it's not documented in the Starlink manual.

Finally, even if S/S control isn't voice control enabled, there still should be a means to handoff control of the A/C temp and fan speed commands when AA or ACP is active.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just wanted to update on the USB cable chat. I finally got the Ugreen 1.5 ft (purchased from Amazon) cable. I have to say, this is the nicest USB cable I have run across, ever.

Both connectors are perfect, with no slop when inserting into the car's USB port, or on my Nokia 4.2. On the phone side, it really clicks in nicely and stays put. I can actually pick up the phone via the cord and it just hangs there, and keep the data connection. The cord itself isn't overly stiff, or overly flexible, just about right.

Since my phone is just the right size to fit into the square depression between "Pocket" where the HU USB connection is and the cup holders, the cable is the perfect length to put the phone there. No more having to loop up the extra cord and hide it in the pocket.

Also I haven't had any more connection issues (the please disconnect and reconnect error) between my phone and the HU since I got it. Knock on wood it doesn't come back.

I've very please with my purchase.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My update. I have had success in getting AA to connect with the HU every time for the last week. Then I had a moisture alert on my phone and it caused issues connecting with the radio. I did a cache purge and waited a few minutes for the HU to reboot. Connected just fine.
Then on my 2 hour trip home it just dropped the connection while the USB was still connected. I didn't feel like pulling over and shutting down the car so I just did without.

I purged the cache this morning and and it connected for my commute to work.

I hope Google fixes this soon.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ok, just got an update last night (4.6.593334). We shall see what's fixed, and what's broken now, hahaha.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have decided that the HU is a cute novelty. My radio works fine and I have my Garmin GPS. No longer need the hassle.
FWIW - I'm having virtually 100% success connecting (and staying connected) to the HU while running AA, and I'm using a cable, the seller has previously indicated is not compatible with AA. Here it is on Amazon:
Magnetic USB cable

I'm very happy with it because I'm not putting physical cycles on the USB-C port of the phone, but also connecting and disconnecting it when getting into and out of the car is so easy. Also, there have been a few times where AA got glitchy w.r.t. audio source and that was easily solved by disconnecting and reconnecting.

I used the setting to have AA start on my phone when it detects Subaru BT (I used the default for the head unit).

I respect @jsherrillj your position on the matter. I spent a bit of time when first getting the car experimenting with connectivity. It's gotten much much more reliable in just a few months of use. I was a bit disappointed initially that the unit didn't support wireless, but almost no manufacturer head units do so at the moment. And now, with this cable, I am no longer caring about that fact. My phone has built-in Qi wireless charging so I use a very inexpensive charger at home that I can place my phone on either in portrait or landscape mode, and watch TV or a movie while I pay bills and such at my desk.

There are some known problems with AA for sure, and sometimes it does seem Google takes a few steps forward, and one back. If this frustrates someone, my advice is, don't bother with it. Leave it a few months, then come back and give it another shot.

I can only speak for myself but I am not alone... I carry my phone everywhere, but I do not use it everywhere. I coordinate everything via my phone. My wife and I use Keep and that allows us to make shared lists which is very handy making runs to the hardware store, doing grocery shopping or other errands.

Google Calendar tracks all appointments and reminders I have.

My phone is the way my children get in touch with me (via SMS text, or phone call) or with my wife (I use WhatsApp for that).

It organizes my personal music.

It is the means by which I read the news"paper", and stream certain podcasts.

And, it's the means by which I get NAV assistance in the car. I've been using MAPS for years and years, but I like Waze and find where I travel and live, both to be excellent. I like knowing speed traps are ahead, break-downs, slow-downs, etc.

All of this is integrated in the vehicle. It brings the HU to a very high state of usability, and I can do all of this practically hands free with eyes on road, because so much can be done with voice-commands via the Assistant.

It's not for everyone, but if you regularly use an Android phone (or if your an Apple/IOS phone user), Android Auto and Apple Car Play are strong features of the vehicle. For me, it was a major critical selling point. And, I knew 100% going in, my wife and I did not need or want to pay extra and for a HU with NAV because of these features and our familiarity with them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
@stfsubaru well said. We share the same ideals with regards to tech. with the exception of the fact that my wife is anti-tech ;).

My failure rate has diminished greatly by always removing the USB before turning off the car. In my case, clearing the cache and letting the HU reboot solves most of the connectivity issues.

I too have started using a magnetic cable as I was worried about the USB port getting ruined.

I have also come to grips with the fact that sometimes I will have to mount my phone on the vent and use the phone display old school.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have also come to grips with the fact that sometimes I will have to mount my phone on the vent and use the phone display old school.
These would be times when you get into a rental and the HU doesn't support AA right? :devilish:

I'm close to batting 1000. It just always seems to work now. Glad you tried the magnetic USB cable. Good stuff huh? My wife was purchasing a Samsung S10 in BestBuy recently, and I showed them my phone and the cable and connector and they were wowed. Like showing a cave-man fire. I out-geeked the geeks at BestBuy... :LOL:

I'm having a bit of an issue with Amazon Music taking over other audio sources, like Pandora or TuneIn or Pulsar+ which others have reported as well on Reddit. What a PITA to try to let them know their application isn't Android Auto friendly. I may disable it for a while. Also on occasion, I'll press the voice/speak button and the Assistant fails to beep, just to let me know she's there. :cool: But my agent takes instruction well anyway. Other than that - it's been smooth sailing.

I wonder if salespeople are tempted to show off the car's integration with AA or ACP. I mean, it could eat into the sale of the higher end vehicles with NAV if they did. On the other hand, it could help seal the deal. :unsure:

·
Registered
141 Posts
My only issue with AA or the HU at this time is the fact that when trying to use any of the AA sanctioned audio apps (Pandora, Spotify, or Simple Rado) while also using Waze for navigation, Waze audio can't seem to override the audio from any of the aforementioned apps. Maybe one day we'll get this figured out. Other than that, I'm please with AA's operation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Has anyone had the issue that Waze won't function properly on the HU unless the phone screen is on and unlocked?

This has just recently been happening and it's been working fine for over a year now.

·
Registered
923 Posts
That is so odd. I have NO (0.00) problems with Waze Audio when listening to any source. The integration is perfect. I wonder if the difference is I selected to be a member enrolled in the Beta Google Play Services program.

BTW - my screen is never on, nor unlocked. In AA, I have "Lock phone while driving" selected on.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I've also been dealing with this problem. It seems that the system is treating the phone's charging beep like it does other notifications (sms/facebook etc). It usually does this by playing the notification through the front speakers while continuing music through the back, except the beep is played through the PHONE and this confuses the HU.

a quick fix for it is to hit the voice command button which opens google assistant and forces a notification sound through the front speakers. Hit it again quickly to cancel the request (just after the sound but before the thing starts listening) and you'll notice the music return to all speakers
Just wanted to follow up on this great post. I've now experienced the "front speakers cut out" issue five or six times, and hitting the voice command twice has solved it every time! Thanks @Basti !

101 - 120 of 120 Posts
About this Discussion
119 Replies
23 Participants
Cortelli
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing