Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium M6, 19mm,
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to have a separate set of tires and wheels for winter,. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on using rims from other model Subarus?

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
I looked at older WRX wheels, which do fit as long as it's not an STi. Older Outback wheels also fit. I didn't find any that I liked, so I picked up a set of Momo wheels that look similar to OEM Subaru ones. These ran about $100 each at Discount Tire and I've been very pleased with them...

Attachments

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,349 Posts
For your 2.5 any Subaru wheel in 16" or 17" with the 5x100 bolt pattern (not STI or Tribeca) will fit acceptably.

·
Registered
2011 2.5i Steel Silver Metallic, Limited , Moonroof
125 Posts
I think that the previous gen outback limited wheels look great on the gen 4. I like the straight spoke wheel with less detail. I was able to find a set on my local craigslist from a guy parting out an OB his wife wrecked. I think I paid $300 for a set from an 07 with no wear or curb rash.

·
Registered
814 Posts
When the weather gets better, I'm going to mount one of my '13 WRX wheels onto my '11 Outback just to see if I like that look. If it works I will get appropriate tires for that wheel and buy a new set of wheels for my WRX :29:

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,349 Posts
They are within a decent range. Nothing that should cause any issues.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Been looking at a set from a 2006 WRX, the offset is 55MM vs. the OB 48MM. think this is a problem? Would it push things too far out into the fenders?

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Limited
153 Posts
Been looking at a set from a 2006 WRX, the offset is 55MM vs. the OB 48MM. think this is a problem? Would it push things too far out into the fenders?
A 55mm offset would sit further inside the fender than the OB's 48mm. A Lower offset would sit push it out more.

·
Registered
2013 OB
115 Posts
I'm sure that the offset is higher on the WRX due to the body being narrower than the Outback. I'd recommend getting a set of rims that are closer to the 48mm offset.

I'm also looking for a set of OEM rims to run winter tires. There are plenty of Impreza rims available, but I'll be sticking to Outback/Forester rims due to the offset. One thing I'm wondering is if the hub size is the same between the different model years.

·
Registered
814 Posts
A 55mm offset would sit further inside the fender than the OB's 48mm. A Lower offset would sit push it out more.
Looks like my 2013 WRX is + 53 offset. I wonder if that would sit too far in? What other Subaru wheels are a lower offset than stock? I kind of think the Outback would handle better with the wheels pushed out a little further to the fenders.

Just doing some quick searching, I found that BRZ wheels are 48 offset.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
I use the rims and winter tires from my old 2003 Outback. No problem with fitting.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Limited
153 Posts
Looks like my 2013 WRX is + 53 offset. I wonder if that would sit too far in? What other Subaru wheels are a lower offset than stock? I kind of think the Outback would handle better with the wheels pushed out a little further to the fenders.
I'm not sure about brake clearance, but there's not a whole lot of clearance between the suspension and the tire with stock OB wheels w/ 225 tires.

You could go with narrower tires (215?) or a 5-10mm spacer (5mm to get it at the stock offset) & longer wheel studs to push them out more.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up picking up some 2012 Impreza limited wheels, identical specs of 17x7 with 48MM offset. Now off to the tire shop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts