Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'll own my first Subaru in a couple weeks - a 2018 Outback Premium. I'm in southern California and will be parking it in the sun all day at work. I'm looking for advice on protecting the plastic parts, dashboard, etc from UV rays. I'd like to maintain the car and drive it as long as possible. I looked around the forum for this info, but didn't see anything definitive.

1. What is your general advice for UV protection? Do you use a certain brand?
2. Anything Outback specific that wouldn't apply to other vehicles? One big plastic piece is the unique roof rack, which is a cool design and looks great I think.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,513 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ Eyesight, Keyless, Nav, Moonroof
96 Posts
1. Buy a sunshade from Walmart, etc that fits your windshield. Gen 5 windahields are pretty deep, so you might need a truck/SUV sized shade.
2. Tint the windows. The factory tint doesn't reduce UV rays and heat whereas an aftermarket tint will.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
495 Posts
Sunshade for the windshield and 303 Aerospace Protectant for the plastic bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

·
in addition to uv, get rid of some of that heat. Get some window deflectors/ rain guards, and crack the windows during the day.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i with eyesight & nav.
63 Posts
Will the 303 clean ivory leather too? Or is there a better choice product or method?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Touring Black
272 Posts
I posted this in 2014:

Just received different info from SOA for both the Outback and the Forester. The amounts shown are for penetration of UV rays.

Outback:

Front windshield - 0% for both UVA and UVB
Front partition glass - 20% UVA & 1%UVB
Front door glass - 20% UVA & 1% UVB
Moonroof - 5% UVA and 1% UVB
Rear door glass with dark tint - 5% UVA & 1% UVB
Rear door partition glass - 5% UVA & 1% UVB
Rear quarter glass with dark tint - 10% UVA & 1% UVB
Rear glass with dark tint - 5% UVA & 1% UVB

Forester:

Front windshield - 0% for both UVA and UVB
Front partition glass - 10% UVA & 1%UVB
Front door glass - 10% UVA & 1% UVB
Moonroof - 0% for both UVA and UVB
Rear door glass with dark tint - 10% UVA & 1% UVB
Rear quarter glass with dark tint - 10% UVA & 1% UVB
Rear glass with dark tint - 10% UVA & 1% UVB

Strange the 2 vehicles are different. I suppose the reason could be the Japanese suppliers and the American suppliers, but you'd think Subaru would provide the suppliers with the same specs.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,954 Posts
Another 303 fan here.

For a sunshade, it's hard, if not impossible, to find a generic that has Eyesight cutouts unless you go with OEM or Weathertech.

I went with Weathertech and couldn't be more pleased with the fit. It fits like OJ's glove should have. It's not a product that you'll break or wear out from use and has excellent protection.

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Grey 2.5 Limited Outback with Eyesight. Add-on: Geolandar GO15's on 17" WRX rims, Ecohitch
300 Posts
Another another 303 fan. Best stuff on the planet. I'm in the "casual" maintenance phase of ownership. It takes just a few min to restore to trim to a soft black shine (don't like the greasy look of some other products).

I use a two piece foldable sun shade. No issues with touching Eyesight cams at all and it goes up/down in seconds. I hated fussing with the genuine Subaru sunshade. I'll be willing to sell you it for a very deep discount if you want one.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,591 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sun visor

Always cover your front window with an aluminum window cover. Best few dollars I ever spent. I own a 2010 Outback a sales person saw in parking lot and mistook it for a 2017. Pledge on dash plus seats often and window protection helps a lot. Also keeps temps down inside a Florida housed car.

·
Registered
2016 3.6 w/ Eyesight
220 Posts
As OBMikeP's post above shows, it is the two front door windows that are weakest in UV filtration. I had 3M crystalline film done on the two door widows (including the partition sections towards the front). This brings the UV transmission close to zero (an spf of 1700, I think), and it is virtually invisible. It is not only good for the car, but protects the side of your face from cancers. (The left side of the face is one of the most common locations of skin cancers because of sun exposure while driving.) I used the Crystalline CR 70 film, which is the darkest you can legally use in California, and which, according to 3M, blocks 99% of UV. Combined with the glass' own filtration, this is pretty much nothing getting through. You can read about the film here:

3M? Automotive Window Film Crystalline Series

G

·
Please elaborate
I can give my own personal anecdotal evidence. I wear glasses with Transitions Lenses. They immediately begin to darken when exposed to UV light. They don't darken at all in the OB... even when the sun is coming directly through the windshield. I have UV blocking tint on all of the sides and back... but not the front. If any UV light we're making through the windshield, the lenses would turn dark.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts