Subaru Outback Forums banner

VA-2 Rear diff plug gasket

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  avk 
#1 ·
Does anyone have the part number for the VA-2 (05 XT Turbo) rear diff drain plug gasket. The parts guy at the local subaru parts counter said there isn't one, but I'm pretty sure he was looking at the T type. Easier if I just walk in with a part number.

Do I need one or two (one for the top, one for the bottom)?

Ton of work to do this weekend. Timing belt, Drive's side inner CV boot, transmission fluid change, front and rear diff. 105k, figure I should get to the timing belt and fluid changes finally, and just notice the torn CV changing the oil this weekend. Sigh!

Thanks!

Tom

#2 ·
#3 ·
Something to add to this. The gasket p/n 11126AA040 is still available and it's the same kind as the one on the engine oil pan, only a different size: the diameter is 18 mm. A 6-cyl. car used three of these: two for the diff., and one for 5EAT transmission. FSM indeed specifies 21.4 lb-ft of torque. I believe it's the correct value for the above part because that's the p/n found in the same-year parts catalog (in my case, 2006).
By the way, although the M18 transmission and rear diff. plugs are interchangeable on 6-cyl. models, the former takes a TP50 (or 8 mm hex) driver bit, while both of the latter take a 10 mm hex bit.
A mention of TP50 might be worth including in JazzyMT's sticky thread, which is unfortunately locked.
PS Thinking some more, any 18 mm oxygen sensor gasket should do the job.

#4 ·
Hey guys, trying to figure out what I need for the rear diff on my 07 XT with a VA2 rear diff.

Manual says replace metal washer on filler plug. Does it have one on the drain plug as well ?

I was going to just do it and see if it leaked but, I only have a half qt of 75-90 ( have 3 80-90) so,might as well get gaskets too.

Thanks for any info

The only spec I could find for diff fluid in my 5000+ page service manual was GL5 .... Which both the 75-90 and 80-90 are.

Seem to remember someone saying their rear end made noise with 80-90 so, don't want to go there I guess.

#5 ·
On page DI-3 of the FSM, it says the rear differential gear oil is GL-5 (75W-90)

Then on DI-25,
• Use a new aluminum gasket for VA1-type.
• Use a new metal gasket for VA2-type.

Which leads me to believe that the VA2 type is a non-aluminum metal gasket. So the FSM spec of 21.7ft-lb listed on that same page for VA2-type must mean when using the metal (non-AL) gasket.

last I checked, aluminum is a metal too so this is all slightly confusing.

Also, the FSM is only asking for three bond for T-type differential, so I take it this means to use only the gasket for the VA2 type.

#6 ·
The difference seems to be that on VA-1 the plugs are threaded into the aluminum end cover (similarly to T-type, the plugs on which are tapered), while on VA-2 the threaded holes are on the side of the iron housing. A practical way to interpret the FSM instructions may be that any sort of sealing washer can be used on an iron case, but aluminum must be used on an aluminum cover. For VA-2, I bought a pack of 10 Honda oil drain sealing washers. They're aluminum and in correct 18 mm diameter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.