Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The image shows three hoses coming off an EJ25 engine for a 2000 OBW.

The top two are fuel lines and the bottom one seems to be a vacuum hose which runs into a blue tube one the driver's side firewall. Where does it go and what is its function?

I found the bottom one cracked so I put some silicone tape over it until I get it replaced. The "repair" seemed to help with some hesitation issues.

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,069 Posts
Should be an EVAP line from the gas tank.
If you continue to follow the hardline under the intake manifold it will go to a small solenoid then feed up into the intake through another rubber line.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,487 Posts
Yep, EVAP and a crack in that hose is a vacuum leak. Just replace it. May as well check all the other hoses while you're in there. Did you have a MIL for a P0440?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll replace the line when I get a chance. I did have a P0420 code on.

The full story is I cleared a P0420 code a week or so ago and it stayed off for a few days. I cleared it again and it came back on pretty quickly. Yesterday I installed a ham radio in the dash so that required me to disconnect the battery which cleared the computer of the code.

Last night I noticed the cracked EVAP line and affected a temporary fix. I also noticed the flex hose to the air filter box was cracked so I made a similar fix.

The code hasn't come on in the four times I've started the vehicle today. Three were 15 minute drives each, so I was halfway expecting the CEL to come on again.

I connected an ELM327 code reader and used a tool on my droid to watch some data. I did notice that Bank1 Sensor 1 shows NO DATA. Somehow this seems abnormal to me. Nothing else looked too far out of the ordinary.

Suffice to say, this vehicle has not had the best TLC in its lifetime but has managed to serve the family quite well. I'll likely be doing some easy repairs on it in the near future. I'm the primary driver now since my wife is driving a new(er) vehicle and we just sold my previous daily driver (a 1996 Camry 4cyl with 232,600 miles).

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,487 Posts
The vacuum leak and crack in the intake tube will cause a 420. The lack of front sensor data is interesting. I've had Subarus run with them unplugged, the ECM uses a baseline fuel trim using the MAF and MAP. It could be the sensor or your scan tool.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the drive in to work this morning the engine showed lots of pep and responsiveness to the gas pedal. The CEL did not come on.

I'll see later today if the code reader will work on the family's newest vehicle to show Bank 1 Sensor 1 data.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts