Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got a leaking valve cover gasket, and I'm going to fix it in the next few weeks. My 97 OBW 2.5l has 120k, so it's worth to check the valve clearance and adjust them once there.

Does anyone know of any way to get hold of the tool? I could borrow it or lend it at some cost, but I don't want to pay the 300$ bucks I've seen on the internet. I found on the internet a method to do it without special tools, did some used it? Haynes says it's impossible to do it with the tool.

I live in the Seattle area.

Thanks a lot, any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1998 Forester
26 Posts
i am assuming its a twin cam? If so; don't mess with it. the shims are expensive and you need to have a large selection on hand to fine tune the settings. Some techs get it right the first time; but its not easy. I wouldn't attack one unless the engine is out of the car.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
I agree unless you have done a couple before, getting the tool would be the easy part.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts