Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my valve body finally went out on my 2011 outback. I got the typical flashing lights on the dash - AT oil temp + Brake Light. before i was be able to disconnect the battery to make the lights disappear. i know its a temporary fix, but i know it was an expensive fix and i'm over the warranty period. this time around the battery trick didn't work

I brought it to Subaru to check it out. This is my daily and i couldn't be without my car for more than a day or so. i already uber'd it to work to minimize any damage.

I knew with my mileage that my car would be out of warranty, but told myself it wouldn't hurt just to call SoA and pretty much beg lol. And if i get help it would be great, if not - no loss at all. I was 34k miles over the extended warranty for the tranny. 34k! and they were still willing to help. SoA didn't cover the whole charge but they did help with $500.00. I also spoke with the service adviser to see if he can swing a discount which he was able to approve a his "managers" discount of 10%

Valve body replacement @subaru dealership cost: $1764
Managers discount 10% off
Subaru of America: $500

total: $12XX

Still a lot but easier to swallow.

TL;DR: call SoA even if out of warranty + ask service for discount

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,541 Posts
Nice of SOA to give you $500 toward the repair, but that manager needs to check the math of the discount he applied for you.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 102K, 7/19.
414 Posts
Yeah. 10% of the remaining $1264 would be an additional $124.60 that should make the tab $1137.60. And if the 10% was taken off BEFORE the $500, and it should have been, then it should have been $1087.60.

Either way I'm glad you got SOA to assist in your problem. Now chase down that service manager and get what the dealership owes you!!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,241 Posts
Don't know where op is from, but there are often misc fees and taxes to bring up the total. Also needs cvt fluid after the repair, maybe 1700 was for the valve body install?

·
Registered
38 Posts
No code was mentioned in the current thread. But according to earlier posts, @outbackn8 (thread starter) has a 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5 premium. That has the CVT. P1710 is for the 5AT.
Sorry, didn't see 2.5L. Thought it was an H6 based on the fact he was talking about a valve body. Assumed CVTs don't have valve bodies... Bad assumption on my part...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm at 126,000 miles and I got the flashing lights this week as well. I am very disappointed that the car is having such major issues at 126,000! I could understand if I was closer to 150,000 or 175,000.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5 Li CVT + 1985 GL 4WD Wagon
6 Posts
Not to dig this up, but I just bought a used 2014 Limited CVT with 128k that had it's valve body replaced at 126k also. Hopefully I'm good to go for a while!

I'm going to see if I can find out if the fluid had ever been replaced, or if that was the factory fill. It's whole lifetime of service was through one Indy soon shop.

My suspicion is that the PO treated it as a lifetime fluid like the owners manual suggests. Personally, I'm going to be doing a drain and fill at/before 150k. At least I know they replaced most of the fluid when they did the valve body.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,881 Posts
Not to dig this up, but I just bought a used 2014 Limited CVT with 128k that had it's valve body replaced at 126k also. Hopefully I'm good to go for a while!

I'm going to see if I can find out if the fluid had ever been replaced, or if that was the factory fill. It's whole lifetime of service was through one Indy soon shop.

My suspicion is that the PO treated it as a lifetime fluid like the owners manual suggests. Personally, I'm going to be doing a drain and fill at/before 150k. At least I know they replaced most of the fluid when they did the valve body.
I think someone here had the same issue and ended up replacing the bad solenoid on the valve body instead of replacing the whole unit.

Was much cheaper as a result (but more time consuming of course) but $150 fix is probably more appealing than a $1500 valve body job or a $8000 entire transmission replacement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think someone here had the same issue and ended up replacing the bad solenoid on the valve body instead of replacing the whole unit.

Was much cheaper as a result (but more time consuming of course) but $150 fix is probably appealing to a $1500 valve body job or a $8000 entire transmission replacement.
Good to know for the future, I think I saw that thread as well. Everything is serviceable to some extent.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
863 Posts

If the valve body was replaced at 126k you have at least one drain and fill at that point, given the fluid needed to come out for the pan drop. And likely it's a bit more than a drain and fill (which would have yielded ~6 quarts) given there's usually some fluid sitting in the bottom of the pan even after a full drain and some held up by the valve body. My guess is you'd have about ~8 quarts replaced out of the 12 quart total capacity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the valve body was replaced at 126k you have at least one drain and fill at that point, given the fluid needed to come out for the pan drop. And likely it's a bit more than a drain and fill (which would have yielded ~6 quarts) given there's usually some fluid sitting in the bottom of the pan even after a full drain and some held up by the valve body. My guess is you'd have about ~8 quarts replaced out of the 12 quart total capacity.
My thoughts exactly. I figured they had to drop about 8-10 quarts to do the job. I'm alright with that for the time being.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts