Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing the head gaskets on my 99 Outback EJ25D DOHC. I would like to adjust the valve clearances while I'm in there. I'm going to have the engine out and I have to remove the cams to take off the heads anyway. Can I just measure the clearances, remove the cams, move shims around or add and subtract some, then put the cams back on after I bolt down the heads? Seems a lot easier than trying to do it while the cams are on.

Also, does anyone have a good tutorial about adjusting the clearances with the heads off the engine?

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,525 Posts
Can I just measure the clearances, remove the cams, move shims around or add and subtract some, then put the cams back on after I bolt down the heads? Seems a lot easier than trying to do it while the cams are on.
Yes, you can. I did exactly that when doing the HGs on my engine and you can do the testing and checking on the workbench with the heads off the block. And you're right: it's much easier this way than when the cams are on. My advice would be to check and recheck the clearances before buttoning everything back up. Also, wait until you get the heads back from the machine shop since if they grind a valve or two, it will change the clearances.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! I thought it would be easier this way. I'm doing my HG's as PM. I'm having no problems but I'm removing the engine to fix a bunch of leaks and thought I may as well take care of them at the same time. Got factory Subaru gaskets. Once I get the heads off, I'll check them for warp. I'm hoping I won't have to get them machined. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts