Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm having some trouble understanding where to measure the gap with the feeler gauge. I have a 2000 outback with a 2.5, i believe it is the 252. I got everything taken off and Cyl #1 to tdc. The issue I'm running into is that I don't understand where to put the feeler gauge?

Where I think Im suppose to put it the gap is huge and I dont have a feeler big enough. I wasn't noticing any noises though, the reason im checking it is because my valve cover was leaking so I figured it was a good time to check.

Thank you for any help and I have tried reading the other threads but I'm having trouble understanding where to measure. Also how do i know which is intake and which is exhaust. Here is a picture of the passenger side of my engine without the valve cover. Again thank you for any help as it is really appreciated.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,439 Posts
Intake are on the top, exhaust are on the bottom. You measure between the end of the valve and the adjustable screw/bolt which is the adjustment point.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wrong place, that's spark plug tube.
Are you sure you want to do a valve clearance job?
Attached is how to.
FSM here: www.main.experiencetherave.com - /subaru_manual_scans/

O.
Ya I just bought the car so Im mainly just checking them unless they are all out of whack. The valve cover was leaking so I figured when I did that it was a good time to check them. I had just never did valve clearance checks in the past and the manual I had was showing that area which is why I was getting confused. Thank you for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts