Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i PZEV 5sp MT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car = 2008 Outback 2.5 L SOHC

Spark plug tube gaskets are leaking and need to be replaced. After many hours of searching how to do the procedure I still have a question.

The FSM says to remove the fuel pipe (rail) to gain clearance for the rocker cover. A thread from this forum says if you do that to replace the 3 seals on each fuel injector. [Note: Sorry, I cannot include the link because I haven't posted enough times :frown2:.] For two injectors that is $52 + tax at the dealer. However, if you don't remove the injectors from the rail the two seals on top of the injector stay in place. Does it seem reasonable to only replace the seal under the injector, which is only $3.50 per seal?

FWIIW, these two videos below don't mention replacing injector seals (and neither mentions jacking up the engine).
[Crap, I can't post those links either.]

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
If it's not in the FSM and there's no indicated problem, you're likely OK. It may just be a "while you're in there, it doesn't hurt to do it" sort of thing.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
I would replace those fuel rail seal. I have a stash of them myself, they are a common leak spot when they don't seat again and seal. Older motors for sure.

The injectors do not have to come out if you remove the rail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts