Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
i think i have at least one valve guide that is dropped on my RH head so i bought a used head to swap it out with. I would like to make valve dropping impossible on this replacement head before i install it. i've seen people mention knurling the head around the guides to keep the guides from being able to drop in the future.

like shown here: https://mdhmotors.com/subaru-headgasket-replacement-tips-procedures/

i thought i'd give it a shot, but when looking at my replacement head around the valve guide it looks to have some sort of ring around the guide which is different from the picture in the post i linked above. It looks like it may be there to keep the guide from dropping. If so, is that good enough, or will it still drop? i'm not sure if subaru improved the design and the knurling procedure is unneeded, or it would still be a good idea to knurl the head, but maybe the location to knurl has changed? I have no machinist experinence but i'm thinking by "knurling" in this case people mean pinching the head aluminum into the valve guide instead of carving a grippy surface on the guide or anywhere else. Also, the valve spring pad in my pic below (the replacement head) seems to be made of either steel or some alloy, while the head pictured in the post i linked above looks like cast aluminum to me. Makes me think i need to leave this head alone, but i don't want to ever have to open this engine up again, if i can help it.

Any insights are appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update: the part i outlined in the pic above actually comes out, so this whole post is unecessary. thanks anyways.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts