Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it necessary to adjust the valve lash on the 3.6 after so many miles, or are the rockers non adjustable? I have what sounds like valve tick, but it is subtle. It isn't real loud.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
759 Posts
I do not recall anyone posting on having to do this. Nor have I seen any Subaru documentation mentioning it.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,249 Posts
I once read someone that mentioned checking clearances at 200,000 miles - seems there's a possibility the exhaust valves could get tight.

but, there doesn't seem to be enough info for folks to insist on this , plus, adjustment of the bucket and shim system is tricky.

so, no consensus really.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,382 Posts
Is it necessary to adjust the valve lash on the 3.6 after so many miles, or are the rockers non adjustable? I have what sounds like valve tick, but it is subtle. It isn't real loud.
They generally don't make noise I don't think. But you could google it, they do rarely need adusted and i'm sure someone has posted if they tick or not.

Do you have a stethoscope to narrow down the location of the noise? Serpentine belt bearing, heat shields, injectors....

Subaru exhaust valves get tight over time and generally you can just ignore it, but it's not a bad idea to check them over 100k if the engine is out or valve cover gaskets are getting replaced which is inevitable. It's a rare failure so it's easy to skip and not worry about it, but worth checking if it's easy.

I've seen one EZ engine with a tight exhaust valve. It ran perfectly fine, absolutely zero issues in it's life and was having valve covers gaskets replaced when I checked it. The valve had zero clearance at all - I couldn't get the smallest gauge in it.

·
Registered
'10 3.6R Outback Limited, 2zr swapped Toyota Yaris track toy, '05 AWD Pontiac Vibe
341 Posts
FWIW I have some slight ticking noise on cold startup occasionally which I am assuming is the same thing the OP mentioned.

The ez36d uses the same bucket/shim style as the 1nz toyota engine that I'm very familiar with. A handful of us toyota guys had all checked our valve clearances at varying mileage, some upwards of 200k+ miles and every single one of us were within factory spec.

With that knowledge I'm not even going to bother to check my valves as long as the engine runs smooth. If a decent oil is used and regularily changed it appears that there is minimal to any wear on the valve buckets.

It's much easier to check valve clearance on an inline for then an H6...

·
Premium Member
2006 Subaru SUS
841 Posts
The 3.6 used to have an adjust interval at 105k, a big job but was recommended.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts