Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I had a HG failure and got quoted $3000 to replace them (including timing belt and pump). Bravely (stupidly) I decided to have a bash at it myself. I have the manual, which I mostly followed, but also got guidance from youtube -mrsubaru1387 (for the engine removal) and speed academy (for the HG job).

I lined up the cam sprockets and the harmonic balancer, which I believe puts cyl 1 at tdc.
With the heads removed I can see:
Cyl 1 and 3: all 4 valves are shut.
Cyl 4: the exhaust valves are open.

Cyl 2 however is concerning me a lot. One of the inlet valves is open a little, and one is fully open. Is that normal? is it something to do with Subarus variable valve timing? See pic below.

Any advice would be really appreciated!!!
Thanks!
Will

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good info here. I hope it helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I went through that and there was a ton of great info in there!

But regarding my cyl 2 inlet vales not being in matching positions I couldn't see anything...

I should clarify - before beginning the tear down it ran perfectly, apart from over heating and bubbles flowing round my heater matrix. I then put the crank and the cam pulleys in line with their 12 o'clock marks and pulled the heads. In doing so I was really careful not disturb anything...

My concern is that I'd expect all the valves to match each other within their cylinder. But pot 2 doesn't - not even close.

Due to it running well beforehand and me being careful to keep things lined up while removing the heads, I'm inclined to just clean the faces, check it doesn't need machining, and throw it back together with new HG in.....

I guess I'd like to hear peoples opinions to give me confidence before reassembly!

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,471 Posts
Sounds like you are working with the wrong information. The engine should not have any cylinders at Top Dead Centre when replacing the head gaskets and installing the timing belt.

When the toothed sprocket behind the harmonic balancer (Note you do not use the Top Dead Centre mark on the harmonic balancer and if this is installed it is difficult to see the index mark on the toothed sprocket) is on the index mark (the mark used to align the timing belt) the engine has all the pistons away from Top Dead Centre.

Hope this helps.

Seagrass

Reactions: cardoc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you are working with the wrong information. The engine should not have any cylinders at Top Dead Centre when replacing the head gaskets and installing the timing belt.

When the toothed sprocket behind the harmonic balancer (Note you do not use the Top Dead Centre mark on the harmonic balancer and if this is installed it is difficult to see the index mark on the toothed sprocket) is on the index mark (the mark used to align the timing belt) the engine has all the pistons away from Top Dead Centre.

Hope this helps.

Seagrass

I just went to have a look at the block and you're totally right!

All the pistons look around mid stroke..... so from the valve positions on the heads I've removed I guess:

1. power
2. inlet (but only one valve is open)
3. compression
4. exhaust

Basically only one of the inlet valves is open on 2, and I'm worried something isn't as it should be....

Thanks, this is definitely helping my understanding!!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,370 Posts
I just went to have a look at the block and you're totally right!

All the pistons look around mid stroke..... so from the valve positions on the heads I've removed I guess:

1. power
2. inlet (but only one valve is open)
3. compression
4. exhaust

Basically only one of the inlet valves is open on 2, and I'm worried something isn't as it should be....

Thanks, this is definitely helping my understanding!!
That is a bit odd to me too. I would have taken off the valve cover and taken some measurements as described in the FSM. Find the valve section and follow the procedure. Maybe the lifter is out of spec?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts