Subaru Outback Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watch out for their finance managers. They state that they are unaware of Subaru's advertised finance rates. We inquired several times and they kept saying that they didn't know where the rates came from that we were asking about. They said to send them a print out or proof. When I responded that the local dealers closer to me quickly confirmed the 1.9% 60 month rate, they simply said that Van Bortel does not offer those rates.

Our lease was expiring in a couple of weeks, and we had no time to order another vehicle elsewhere. We got stuck with their much higher rate, and now are going to refinance. We won't get anywhere near the Subaru Motors Finance rates though. Lesson learned. Investigate the dealers financing options when ordering the vehicle so you have time to make other plans.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
201 Posts
Finance managers lying? shocked face :^) I always go in with my financing squared away and holding a blank sight draft from USAA so I don't even have to deal with those people. Not that they don't try though.

Reactions: Shark_911

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finance managers lying? shocked face :^) I always go in with my financing squared away and holding a blank sight draft from USAA so I don't even have to deal with those people. Not that they don't try though.
They market themselves as a different kind of dealer. They don't haggle on price. They simply publish prices that are less than MSRP. Their sales people have always been very good and they let you go on test drives without them.

We have leased two vehicles from them and until now have had great customer service. The lease prices were better than what we could get locally.

We trusted them based on prior experiences, and apparently should not have.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,661 Posts
So in summary:
  • you admit that they offered lower pricing
  • and you noted that they have superior service
  • they clearly stated they wouldn't offer you the desired 1.9% 60 month rate
  • but they still offered to let you prove it was available, which you apparently declined
  • then you signed on the dotted line for finance terms you didn't like
What part of this experience convinced you that they are not trustworthy?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So in summary:
  • you admit that they offered lower pricing
  • and you noted that they have superior service
  • they clearly stated they wouldn't offer you the desired 1.9% 60 month rate
  • but they still offered to let you prove it was available, which you apparently declined
  • then you signed on the dotted line for finance terms you didn't like
What part of this experience convinced you that they are not trustworthy?
They only stated they would not offer Subaru's rate at the end after we offered the "proof" they desired. They would never even tell us what the Subaru rates were. They would only provide rates through a local bank they use.

I had no choice but to sign on the dotted line. My lease was up, and I had no time to order a vehicle from another dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm sorry for your situation and the fact you now have to refinance, but this does bring to mind a quote I often employ for something like this:

Act in haste, repent at leisure
I see you live in Portland area. Any insights about the local dealers there? Interested in particular in reputation of Dick Hannah Subaru in Vancouver WA and Gresham Subaru. If you have insights as to others nearby as well, would appreciate hearing.

FWIW, I bought a new car further south at Kendall in Eugene 5 years ago, and it was a very positive experience. Never got service there, though, as there is another dealer closer to me. That dealer, who shall remain nameless, offers fairly good service but they are the Kings of Upselling.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,661 Posts
I see you live in Portland area. Any insights about the local dealers there? Interested in particular in reputation of Dick Hannah Subaru in Vancouver WA and Gresham Subaru. If you have insights as to others nearby as well, would appreciate hearing.
My Subaru purchase experiences are as old as the vehicle you see in my profile. My Subaru service experiences consist of two factory recalls for passenger airbag, and buying occasional parts over the counter. Everything else is done with a very good independent shop in Portland. Thus, I wouldn't have much to offer you, unless you're interested in the independent shop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Subaru purchase experiences are as old as the vehicle you see in my profile. My Subaru service experiences consist of two factory recalls for passenger airbag, and buying occasional parts over the counter. Everything else is done with a very good independent shop in Portland. Thus, I wouldn't have much to offer you, unless you're interested in the independent shop.
I'm not in Portland, but my niece could use a recommendation for a good independent shop there. She's inheriting my '99 Legacy GT Wagon which is still valiantly soldiering on. Thanks!

·
Registered
'19 Outback Touring 3.6R
258 Posts
I'm also in the Portland area, in March 2019 I decided to buy an Outback Touring 3.6 because it was the last year for a fantastic engine. I sent emails to 6 of the local dealers with my requirements, 4 of them responded. I worked with them for about 2 weeks until I thought I had the best possible deal and placed a Factory order with Gresham Subaru, which happens to be the closest one to me!

I was paying 'cash' so I didn't have deal with the finance guy very much. He quoted me a price for the 8yr/120K Gold Plus $0 deductible plan I wanted and I declined it because I knew I could get it elsewhere for a better price. He asked me the price I was going to pay, looked through his paperwork and mumbled something about that was their cost. He matched that price and I walked out the door a happy camper! My only dealings with the Service Department have been for oil changes and to install the engine block heater that the Factory didn't install. The Parts Department has always worked well when I've ordered parts for my SVX.

Overall 4 thumbs up (my wife likes them too) for Gresham Subaru!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm also in the Portland area, in March 2019 I decided to buy an Outback Touring 3.6 because it was the last year for a fantastic engine. I sent emails to 6 of the local dealers with my requirements, 4 of them responded. I worked with them for about 2 weeks until I thought I had the best possible deal and placed a Factory order with Gresham Subaru, which happens to be the closest one to me!

I was paying 'cash' so I didn't have deal with the finance guy very much. He quoted me a price for the 8yr/120K Gold Plus $0 deductible plan I wanted and I declined it because I knew I could get it elsewhere for a better price. He asked me the price I was going to pay, looked through his paperwork and mumbled something about that was their cost. He matched that price and I walked out the door a happy camper! My only dealings with the Service Department have been for oil changes and to install the engine block heater that the Factory didn't install. The Parts Department has always worked well when I've ordered parts for my SVX.

Overall 4 thumbs up (my wife likes them too) for Gresham Subaru!
Thanks for the great info!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.