Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Outback 3.6R
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our '16 was vandalized over the weekend. A backpack of baby gear was taken out of the cargo space after the rear window was smashed. Apparently the baby on board sticker, car seats, and stroller are not deterrents! We didn't loose anything irreplaceable -- the whole situation was just annoying and costly. Just wanted to take this moment and remind everyone to keep valuables out of sight, even if it's just an empty bag. Especially with the holidays coming up (Black Friday, Christmas presents, etc.), there will be an increase in theft everywhere. Don't forget to use the cargo cover/curtain.

FYI. Try not to break your rear window -- it was expensive to replace ($730+taxes for me). I didn't shop for the best price and auto glass shop because of rain and our tight schedule. I went with the first shop that could turn it around in the same day.

Happy holidays & stay safe.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
123 Posts
Very sorry to hear this. Hope you reported it to the police. Any help from insurance?

·
Registered
Outback 3.6R
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, I did not report it. Police here are slow to respond to non-emergency calls and I didn't want to spend the day waiting/dealing with it.
Also no help from insurance as the cost was just under deductible... might considering lowering deductible after this incident.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
12yrs living in SF zero smashed windows. We were / are super careful leaving stuff in plain sight. No charger cables! No suction cup marks on the windshield. No gym bags, no loose change, no un opened water bottles. All things the homeless jerks will smash a window for.

It sucks but its a reality. Even today in our suburb la la land area we continue with the no stuff left visible rule. And we still have neighbors and kids having fits because some one stole a laptop sitting on a seat in full view! Umm yea... Some people dont use their noggin.

The triatholon types learned a long time ago bikes left in cars are not safe! Lol though one friend locks his to a seat bracket with a heavy lock and leaves his door unlocked to avoid smashed windows. Lol

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
893 Posts
The Phoenix Police acted like I was a criminal when I asked them to come out when the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Actually told me they didn't have time for this stuff.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
SF PD announced publicly it would not respond to car breakins even in progress a few yrs ago. As a result it was open game, day time blatantly done. A buddy called as he watched a dude break into his SUV the operator told hom sorry no can do and hung up. So he told his girl friend to call 911 in 30 seconds and report a street fight. He walked over grabbed the guy hanging out of the pass side window by his legs and yanked him out. The scum bag landed on his head, knocked him out cold. SF PD arrived as he came to and was trying to fight, cuffed him and tossed him into the car. My buddy filed, multiple charges against the guy they all stuck and he got 3yrs in the slammer. What was he stealing? A gym bag full of dirty shorts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts