Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Limited
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2005 XT does not like to start or run well right after refueling. I have replaced the purge valve and that didn't help. Others have suggested the vapor canister might be plugged up (reasonable). Where is that on this model? It sure isn't obvious to me. I'd like to try blowing air though one side at low pressure to check.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
aft of left rear wheel- note it isn't a cylinder, see attached. Large arrow indicates towards front of car.

Bugs can build nests in the vent lines, might need to blow them clear. Also water vapor can build up and (in the right climate) form an ice ball that closes the show, so pay attention to temperatures while tracking this.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Limited
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. It's definitely not behind the rear wheels as I don't really see any room for it with the large mufflers on each side. It looks like it might be in front of the drivers side rear wheel like brucep pointed out and rasterman's diagram shows. At least I can see some lines that look like they could be vent hoses going to something under a cover. I'll jack it up and look more closely tonight.

Bugs or our gumbo mud, both seem reasonable for plugging that vent up.

Do you happen to know if the 72 hour pass at the Subaru technical information system site allows you to download the manuals as PDF's? I'd really like a good shop manual for this.

Bryan

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,306 Posts
Do you happen to know if the 72 hour pass at the Subaru technical information system site allows you to download the manuals as PDF's? I'd really like a good shop manual for this.

Bryan
Yep. It's best to search for what you want 1st. But you have ample time to bring everything in if you want. Search this site tho...someone posted most of them already.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts

Bryan
lots of good stuff on the outback forum for XT people, and on legacygt.com (same car, just no love for ground clearence,...and they list them in world years there.)

SLI has a big page of factory service manual bootlegs, I don't know how good or safe they are. maybe download some to a flash drive and inspect it with multiple virus scan tools before opening. ( if the 2005 material is incomplete, US spec 2005 should be pretty close to a 2006).

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.php?18087-Subaru-Factory-Service-Manuals-(FSM)-Every-Model-USDM-EU

1 - 6 of 6 Posts