Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.0lt Turbo Diesel premium 6sp manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been having alot of trouble with mechanics and my car. First problem is depending on where I search the VIN I get a different model, year and spec. All of the OBD scanners don't show its VIN and can't match a build sheet as subaru dont have the original information although it been in their hands from the first owner.
Most mechanics have had very limited access to information from the ECU and functions almost always it won't come up unless the region is changed on the scanner to Europe. But when I search manually I can never find it as a option or close match on parts sites. And almost always Europe or Japan sites come up. Now Subaru have told me that its a Australian release and compliance but so far all the parts and closest match for accessories is in Europe.

So mine is 2009 sep MY10 outback 2.0D turbo diesel has the full black leather interior with sunroof, metal like dash inserts, 6sp manual transmission with the kenwood satellite navigation system with DVD player and 6 speakers. No sub or amp or centre dash speaker yet the options on the head unit have full inderviduals speaker adjustment and EQ. I have rain sensor for the automatic widow wipers but and auto headlights yet those functions aren't fitted. And no heated seats.
This is important as I need to actually find the relevant service manual as the outback 2010 doesn't have Desiel options and the 09 book doesn't have the specifications matching the remainder of the car.

Problem two is the car has been behaving strange, unreliable and like a truck and everytime I take it into a shop I explain what's going on, tell them it's intermittent and request that they drive it to and from their house to the shop for the week and ask for thorough inspection even if the cost is higher so they can see and feel what I am. NOTE: No codes or dash warnings at all. They give it back and say the car is in good working order and nothing to worry about. Then I have a problem again, but instead I have had to learn and fault find myself and just get Labor from them.
So symptoms are;
I have white/grey smoke heaps like a bushfire but smells like diesel taking of for a few minuted but only when the Climate control is on with A/C, not all the time but I have tested this theory heaps and as soon as I turn it off the smoke stops shortly after. But at the same time the soot accumulation ratio drops by about 30%, no regeneration in process and car losses performance.
Then returns to normal, but it's been ruff ideling, lots off lag in first and second gear, excess engine vibrations and noises. The TPS reading is staying around 70% but the accelerate pedal angle seems to respond according to computers. I would get about 900-1000km per tank but now like 700. Been told maybe a new throttle body. Item's already checked are;
Dpf replaced and full intake clean
sensor's either side of Dpf replaced
EGR replaced
Muffler (dpf bit found inside) and exhaust pipes from block brand new
filters, gaskets and seals all replaced on block, turbo and exhaust.
full set of new brakes system sets.
MAP sensor new
Turbo serviced.
Minor ecu adjustment to change fuel-air ratio.
Injectors dropped and sent to denso for inspection no problems.
Only premium diseal and oil used with regular treatments every 5000km.
Below are some of the readings.
Screenshot_20210430-173327.jpg
Screenshot_20210501-131413.jpg
Screenshot_20200603-171427.jpg
Screenshot_20210430-173315.jpg
Screenshot_20210501-131413.jpg
Screenshot_20200603-171427.jpg
Screenshot_20210430-173315.jpg

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.0lt Turbo Diesel premium 6sp manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I have been having alot of trouble with mechanics and my car. First problem is depending on where I search the VIN I get a different model, year and spec. All of the OBD scanners don't show its VIN and can't match a build sheet as subaru dont have the original information although it been in their hands from the first owner.
Most mechanics have had very limited access to information from the ECU and functions almost always it won't come up unless the region is changed on the scanner to Europe. But when I search manually I can never find it as a option or close match on parts sites. And almost always Europe or Japan sites come up. Now Subaru have told me that its a Australian release and compliance but so far all the parts and closest match for accessories is in Europe.

So mine is 2009 sep MY10 outback 2.0D turbo diesel has the full black leather interior with sunroof, metal like dash inserts, 6sp manual transmission with the kenwood satellite navigation system with DVD player and 6 speakers. No sub or amp or centre dash speaker yet the options on the head unit have full inderviduals speaker adjustment and EQ. I have rain sensor for the automatic widow wipers but and auto headlights yet those functions aren't fitted. And no heated seats.
This is important as I need to actually find the relevant service manual as the outback 2010 doesn't have Desiel options and the 09 book doesn't have the specifications matching the remainder of the car.

Problem two is the car has been behaving strange, unreliable and like a truck and everytime I take it into a shop I explain what's going on, tell them it's intermittent and request that they drive it to and from their house to the shop for the week and ask for thorough inspection even if the cost is higher so they can see and feel what I am. NOTE: No codes or dash warnings at all. They give it back and say the car is in good working order and nothing to worry about. Then I have a problem again, but instead I have had to learn and fault find myself and just get Labor from them.
So symptoms are;
I have white/grey smoke heaps like a bushfire but smells like diesel taking of for a few minuted but only when the Climate control is on with A/C, not all the time but I have tested this theory heaps and as soon as I turn it off the smoke stops shortly after. But at the same time the soot accumulation ratio drops by about 30%, no regeneration in process and car losses performance.
Then returns to normal, but it's been ruff ideling, lots off lag in first and second gear, excess engine vibrations and noises. The TPS reading is staying around 70% but the accelerate pedal angle seems to respond according to computers. I would get about 900-1000km per tank but now like 700. Been told maybe a new throttle body. Item's already checked are;
Dpf replaced and full intake clean
sensor's either side of Dpf replaced
EGR replaced
Muffler (dpf bit found inside) and exhaust pipes from block brand new
filters, gaskets and seals all replaced on block, turbo and exhaust.
full set of new brakes system sets.
MAP sensor new
Turbo serviced.
Minor ecu adjustment to change fuel-air ratio.
Injectors dropped and sent to denso for inspection no problems.
Only premium diseal and oil used with regular treatments every 5000km.
Below are some of the readings.
View attachment 511449 View attachment 511450 View attachment 511451 View attachment 511452 View attachment 511452 View attachment 511449 View attachment 511450 View attachment 511451 View attachment 511452 View attachment 511449 View attachment 511450 View attachment 511451 View attachment 511452

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,841 Posts
first off, Welcome.

I merged posts and took the Gen3 designation off. I believe a car like yours to be the new "BR" body for that year. (and not the earlier body with the smaller amount of rear seat leg space).

here are free scans of the factory service manuals for North American and European specs.

@Seabass any suggestions about a subaru forum local to Aussie / Kiwi variety Diesel ?
(I know we don't type much of them here,...I know they had some in Eurospec, but not sure where else).

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,266 Posts
The Australian company that knows quite a bit about the Subaru diesel engine is MRT Performance and the website is linked below,

The other forum I was thinking of could actually be subaruforester.org and the following link is to that forums diesel engine section,

Hope this helps,

Seagrass

Reactions: HeyChris
1 - 4 of 4 Posts