Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a 2013 a few months old - about 9K on it. Something I have noticed in the past week or 2 - if I gun it from a stop (like pulling out into traffic from a stop) or a very slow crawl - I feel a weird hesitation - almost as if its switching gears - but I notice when it hesitates - the light for the VDC comes on - like its engaging for a brief second.

Why would the VDC come on if I am not on any slippery road?

thoughts?

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green
573 Posts
You must have purchased the LA-Edition. Most manufacturers are making them now in an effort to curb everyone in LA from slamming on the gas at every single available stoplight and stop sign. Is a copy of Fast & Furious handed out to every parent when their child is born down there?

I joke, don't know, you may have an over sensitive stability control system. I would have it checked by the dealer, be sure to document the specifics (outside temp, uphill/downhill, etc.)

Good luck!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Like hard acceleration from a stop when making a hard turn. Like a fast left into traffic from a side street from a stop sign?

If you hit it hard from a stop you can get some front wheel spin - traction light will flash anytime the system picks up wheel spin. Couple of spots in my every day drive dropping and picking up kids the pavement even summer time dry can be slick and I've seen this.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,711 Posts
at some driveways, T-intersections etc. , I've seen enough sand and gravel collected that wheels would spin under a heavy foot so, subiesailor probably has it right.

·
Registered
91 Posts
at some driveways, T-intersections etc. , I've seen enough sand and gravel collected that wheels would spin under a heavy foot so, subiesailor probably has it right.
You could add 'painted crosswalk stripes' at most intersections. If you've ever accelerated hard over them when the streets are wet, then you know that they can be slicker than wet cat poop. Easy to spin tires on these paint stripes.

·
Registered
2011 2.5i Premium, CVT, Azurite Blue, added Hidden Hitch
79 Posts
Yes, Subie is likely right. My VW (FWD, also 5MT) does that under similar conditions. Anytime some wheel slippage is detected the light comes on as the system tried to control it.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
You could add 'painted crosswalk stripes' at most intersections. If you've ever accelerated hard over them when the streets are wet, then you know that they can be slicker than wet cat poop. Easy to spin tires on these paint stripes.
Ha 65,000 miles on a motorcycle freaking hate those paint stripes

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You must have purchased the LA-Edition. Most manufacturers are making them now in an effort to curb everyone in LA from slamming on the gas at every single available stoplight and stop sign. Is a copy of Fast & Furious handed out to every parent when their child is born down there?

I joke, don't know, you may have an over sensitive stability control system. I would have it checked by the dealer, be sure to document the specifics (outside temp, uphill/downhill, etc.)

Good luck!

hilarious!

One place I did notice it is near my work - theres a residential street near my work in Hollywood and I have to make a right turn onto a busier street. Unless you pull out fast - you will NEVER get out onto that street because its so busy in the morning and people are going fast. So I do have to tear out or Ill get hit - plus visibility isnt best - so you can only see a little ways down the street to the left at the cars coming. So, maybe you guys are right - I will pay more attention to the moments it happens and what Im crossing. In that case - its a hard right turn and a slight dip in the road (intersections here often have that sharp dip where the road meets another road for the water flow.

Ill make some closer observations when it happens. Its really alarming when it does cause the car just suddenly loses power for a split second - but I know the CVT is smoother than that.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
hilarious!

One place I did notice it is near my work - theres a residential street near my work in Hollywood and I have to make a right turn onto a busier street. Unless you pull out fast - you will NEVER get out onto that street because its so busy in the morning and people are going fast. So I do have to tear out or Ill get hit - plus visibility isnt best - so you can only see a little ways down the street to the left at the cars coming. So, maybe you guys are right - I will pay more attention to the moments it happens and what Im crossing. In that case - its a hard right turn and a slight dip in the road (intersections here often have that sharp dip where the road meets another road for the water flow.

Ill make some closer observations when it happens. Its really alarming when it does cause the car just suddenly loses power for a split second - but I know the CVT is smoother than that.
Since more than likely you will come to a stop while waiting for the traffic to clear. So, there ample of time to turn off the traction control button. Try gunning it after you have that button off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts