Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi comunity,
Sorry for the long message, i just want all varibles noted.
I purchased a Subaru outback the diesel model from my step father for my wife. It was a good car for 8 years it never skipped a beat, I recived a letter of recall, so i took it in for a handbrake module recall, litteraly one day after getting the car back two warning lights appeared on the dashboard it was/still is the traction control and ABS and I noticed the cruise control was knocked out.
I took it back to the dealership and they told me a glow plug had died so I arranged for the glow plugs to be replaced unfortunately one Snapped so I had to get the manifold / plug bored out, I also purchased a Rather expensive relay as the dealership suggested this could also be the problem two weeks passed the relay did not fix the problem, my dealership refused to refund the relay lol. I took the scooby in again for some electrical troubleshooting. I was told i need to spend £2,500. To get a new vdc installed. I have a bad gut feeling and dont trust this dealership.

The dadh warning lights do ocasionally go off, whilst driving, / sharp breaking, and cruise controll returns, however once the engine is turned off and on the problem persists.

I have ordered a break light switch, waiting for it to arrive by post,
Following my wife, i can confirm all breaklights are working, even the ones on the back door.. except the two in the rear bumper unless they are just reflectors?

baring in mind it had handbreak work,
New glow plugs,
Genuine scooby glow plug Relay.

If you were in my shoes what would you
do?
Just wondering the best method of attack for the diagnosis, wheel speed, steering sensors etc?
Is there anything close to the handbreak module that could have been knocked?

If you got this far, thank you very much!

Tim

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Camellia Red Metallic + 2001 2.5 VDC
483 Posts
To me, it sounds like whatever work they did to it, is the problem..
Glow plug should not set off the traction control etc.. (I would of thought)
It's not Tredington garage is it?? I wouldn't trust them with a wheel barrow...
Where in the UK are you??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me, it sounds like whatever work they did to it, is the problem..
Glow plug should not set off the traction control etc.. (I would of thought)
It's not Tredington garage is it?? I wouldn't trust them with a wheel barrow...
Where in the UK are you??
yes most likely - i have given the sheffield dealership EUROPA far too much business with this job, well into four figures, they are not interested in fixing the actual problem. I’m from matlock, but farmers of matlock our local subaru garage / subaru dealer dont have access to the main subaru dealership diagnostic equipment,
They still charged me £450 for the convenience.
i’m buying the wife a fking volvo, A real shame because i grew up with subaru’s and in our high cold wet part of the country we need all the AWD we can get. you cant beat a subaru that works..

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Camellia Red Metallic + 2001 2.5 VDC
483 Posts
Mmm. That's a shame.. Farmers were very helpful when I was looking for a car a few years ago..
What I really don't understand is that Subaru is a niche marque and thus, people don't usually buy one by accident.. therefore, the dealer needs to be on top of the job rather than be just like your average car dealer...
Tredington were happy to take my money for the car, but the service after was terrible.. zero interest... I am near Boston, (the original Boston) and there is nobody near here.. Peterborough is closetstand although the parts dept have been very helpful, I have never had any further dealings with them..
My guess is its to do with the sensors in the hubs or wiring for them.. I dare bet there is a damaged wire..
It only happened after they worked on it..

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,844 Posts
That dealer service center sounds incompetent or they are flat out robbing you.
Glow plugs have nothing to do with the VDC/ABS. That problem was more than likely associated with the recall work they did on the brake module. Even though the brake module is not involved in the VDC/ABS, they were obviously monkeying around near the brakes and may have either negligently or willfully created the problem.

Unfortunately any resposibility due to collateral damage of their work is hard to prove.
Here in the U.S. we can ask Subaru headquarters for intervention with problematic dealerships. Maybe there is an equivalent resource for you in U.K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts