Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC H6 3.0l Black
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2002 Subaru Outback VDC, 3.0l engine.
I was just wondering if anyone knows if Subaru uses the VDC Off light as a secondary visual alert (other than the obvious disengagement of the VDC)? It has only happened this year (2012 - 2013) randomly, any type of weather. Was thinking maybe wheel sensors (had my wife's Buick Rendezvous go thru this) ... or maybe something not VDC related. Any input, please and thank you !! btw... EXCELLENT site you have! I really appreciate it. - Steven B. :confused:

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,477 Posts
paging cardoc
:D:D:D

The VDC light comes on when there is a performance issue with the engine but is not considered noteworthy to illuminate the MIL. The VDC program uses the engine and transmission in conjunction with ABS to control the car, so when something occurs performance related, the VDC turns off and the light comes on.

Usually when cruising or in town driving and the light comes on, stays on for a few minutes, then goes out, its temperature related. Check your coolant level, thermostat operation and fans. You can check the fans by starting the car and turning on the AC. If the fans come on, they're working.

If these check out okay, have it scanned for temporary or pending codes by someone with a good scanner and post them here.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
:D:D:D

The VDC light comes on when there is a performance issue with the engine but is not considered noteworthy to illuminate the MIL. The VDC program uses the engine and transmission in conjunction with ABS to control the car, so when something occurs performance related, the VDC turns off and the light comes on.

Usually when cruising or in town driving and the light comes on, stays on for a few minutes, then goes out, its temperature related. Check your coolant level, thermostat operation and fans. You can check the fans by starting the car and turning on the AC. If the fans come on, they're working.

If these check out okay, have it scanned for temporary or pending codes by someone with a good scanner and post them here.
Cardoc if this is happening on slick roads - would it be similar to the traction light flashing when tires have lost grip? Just wondering if some of the light flashing could be related to that type of road and driving condition also?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,477 Posts
Cardoc if this is happening on slick roads - would it be similar to the traction light flashing when tires have lost grip? Just wondering if some of the light flashing could be related to that type of road and driving condition also?
There is a light just for VDC operation and its "VDC" all by itself above and to the right of the "VDC Off".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks ... am doing a full engine flush and thermostat (from Subaru Parts Dept.) replacement to see if this solves it ... did notice a bunch of sludge in reservoir bottle ... so it's time ... LOL ... will let you guys know results ASAP. Thanks ! - Steven B.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,107 Posts
thanks ... am doing a full engine flush and thermostat (from Subaru Parts Dept.) replacement to see if this solves it ... did notice a bunch of sludge in reservoir bottle ... so it's time ... LOL ... will let you guys know results ASAP. Thanks ! - Steven B.

get a new radiator cap, try to clean out the sludge, clean the o'flow tube and cut its reservoir end at an angle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok ... i know the results of this thread have been long in coming ... My brother-in-law and I did the "drain and fill" (unfortunately NOT a flush), the thermostat replacement, a new rad cap, cut the overflow tank hose at an angle ... basically everyone's suggestion all rolled into one ... and ALL is running smoothly. Took her out for a 100 mile highway drive and she's fast and trouble-free. I couldn't take pictures as we did it all at ground level. I did try but pics had poor definition. Next up ... air-filter needs changing, has been cleaned a lot ... LOL. Thank you all again for your help. BTW .. old antifreeze didn't look too bad, Just a few oily/dirty deposits floating around. We filtered them out and put the old stuff away for backup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts