Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 2001 2.5 OBW 4EAT with the all weather package (heated seats, vdc, heated screen etc). The only thing is it doesn't have a 'VDC off' switch which I could use to switch off the vdc to get some wheelspin going when in mud, etc. Could a switch be added and if so, what would I have to check/source (other than a switch/hardware) and install?

Any help, even if it's a 'NO' - not possible to do...etc would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
How to disable VDC?? - NASIOC

Also they did not offer VDC in a 2.5L. So either you have one a of the few h6 3.0L with VDC, or you don't have VDC.
http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/outback/2001/

"The six-cylinder was also available as the VDC, with Subaru's VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control) system, which integrated stability control with traction control. The system was also mated to a previously used Japanese-market AWD system, called VTD, in which power was split 45/55 front-to-rear in normal conditions. When wheel spin is detected, the system cuts power to the spinning wheel and directs power to those that aren't. Only when necessary do the brakes slow the affected wheels, when the vehicle detects excessive oversteer or understeer. This package had more sound insulation than other trims, as well as those features found on the L.L. Bean, such as McIntosh stereo, OnStar, and leather interior. Its curb weight was just slightly higher than that of the standard L.L. Bean trim, and while the VDC badging was placed on the front quarter panels only, the H6-3.0 and Outback markings were also applied as usual."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Legacy_(third_generation)#Outback
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Subaru+Announces+Pricing+on+2001+Model+Year+Outback+and+Legacy.-a063039265

Having said all that, you are not the first person in England to claim to have VDC in your 2.5L. There is a chance things are different on the other side of the pond (which is why I added the first post). It is common in the US for people to confuse VDC with VTD.

http://www.justanswer.com/subaru/66a4y-subaru-legacy-wagon-2001-legacy-wagon-awd-just.html

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Novablue, thanks for the feedback. I tried the link, just took me to two entries about disabling the VDC but not 'how' to do it.
I am convinced my 2.5 has VDC, by the way. I've had error codes showing 'yaw rate sensor' (why would the car have a YRS if no VDC) and have all the indicator lights on the db on switch on, which extinguish soon after the start. The manual also suggests VDC.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Ok. The first post I linked simply says that if you disable VDC you also disable the ABS as they work together.

Having a VDC light does not mean you have VDC. ;)

The only way to know for sure would to be to call Subaru with your VIN#.

Either way you probably will not want to disable the VDC and have braking issues as a result. Later years separated the VDC and ABS but early models were the first ones.

I need to point out all of what I just said is speculation. I have no hands on experience with that model. When is comes to disabling an electrically controlled thing, all things are possible if you have a wiring diagram and a little dangerous knowledge. Plain Om seems to have a lot of wiring diagrams. You might try PMing him.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i have not read this throughly but,

on my USDM 01 outback VDC, i do not have a ''vdc off'' button (02 - 04years do have one). however i think the manual says to insert a fuse in the 'under the hood' fuse box to turn it off. the ''VDC off' fuse holder is in place of the FWD fuse holder in the US 2.5L outbacks which do not have VDC . and it will be empty. (there is no way designed in the VDC to go FWD.)

you might try it and see. it would be in the rear corner of the fuse panel, closest to the engine, i think. closest to the brake booster . i don't know if it is labeled.

EDIT: creating a switch would be pretty simple, use bad fuse to hold wires in the holder, run wires into car, add switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Novablue, in Europe most of the Legacy/Outbacks 1999-2003 with AT have VDC. And when you have the VDC and VDC off lights definitely you have VDC/VTD system with center differential and 45//55 torque split. I own 2000 2,5 Outback with VDC and i experienced the work of the system many times. I checked the schematics of my car by professional program and by VIN number and everything is there - the center differential ant etc. I also installed VDC off button, it's very useful in deep snow and soft mud situations.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Novablue, in Europe most of the Legacy/Outbacks 1999-2003 with AT have VDC. And when you have the VDC and VDC off lights definitely you have VDC/VTD system with center differential and 45//55 torque split. I own 2000 2,5 Outback with VDC and i experienced the work of the system many times. I checked the schematics of my car by professional program and by VIN number and everything is there - the center differential ant etc. I also installed VDC off button, it's very useful in deep snow and soft mud situations.
The first and second gen of VTD and the first years of third gen VTD - 1999 -2003 was second gen - had 36:64. 45:55 came about 2005/2006 Link to and old posting about the same topic. Have a look at the linked pdf.

But according to Subaru it was only offered in the Legacy wagon (not for the sedan) and the Outback, both in the GX-Trim.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Sounds like you are the perfect person to help the OP then. ;)

All the data I can find says your wrong, but that is the nature of cars... sometimes the data is indeed wrong. I'm more likely to believe (now 3) strangers on this forum than Wikipedia or cars.com.

The truth is cars made in Europe are most of the time quite different and improved (imo) than what we have here!

Thanks for bring this to light!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in the UK and own an MY00 Outback with Lux pack, my car does not have VDC, the fuse box has a space labelled VDC/FWD on it.
When I place the fuse into the space and switch ignition on I have a FWD light on the dash, no VDC lights illuminate.
If I shine a torch on the cluster I can actually see the VDC illumination that are not used on my wagon..
Andy

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello all again,
Good to see I'm not really alone! I phoned Subaru UK on Friday and gave them my car's details - they replied saying the 2001 OBW Lux pack, 2.5 and the 3.0 both had VDC. I'm now asking Krass - or anyone else - how best to fit an off switch?

All feedback appreciated. :29:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all again,
Good to see I'm not really alone! I phoned Subaru UK on Friday and gave them my car's details - they replied saying the 2001 OBW Lux pack, 2.5 and the 3.0 both had VDC. I'm now asking Krass - or anyone else - how best to fit an off switch?

All feedback appreciated. :29:
You must have the GX model then, mine isn't GX but has Lux pack with no VDC :29:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine is 4EAT auto mate :29:
Have taken it into a very muddy field last week and the front wheels span out then the rears engaged, I got out with some spectators putting money on me getting stuck!
The AWD system is just ace on these things, I reckon VDC would have been better for me though :29:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
A.P
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing