Subaru Outback Forums banner

Vehicle shutdown while driving and braking

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  stevenva 
#1 ·
Hi all, need your help with my 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5L premium,
Here’s my issue, when driving the vehicle if I hit the brake suddenly my vehicle shutdown;
I have replaced the battery and the alternator is making his job generating energy at 14.4
I had been troubleshooting and checking the vehicle but at this point I don’t know what to do since I have not check engine lights on at all.
Any suggestions
Thanks for your help and response

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum, sorry it's because you're having difficulties.

Read the internal trouble codes and report back here; not all of them light up the CEL. Here's a procedure for Gen 3; I think Gen 4 is similar:

Do you think it's engine loading that makes it die, or electrical system shutdown? If the latter, is the battery OK? Battery cables ever replaced? Ignition switch not flaky or erratic?

#9 ·
I read a recall. It was a newer one. Ignition switches can swing themselves electrically off when braking due to a bad spring in the switch. BUT This is only on cars which have had the switch replaced prior.

#11 ·
No where near enough information in his first post, but if it shuts off only under a sudden,hard, braking - with no locking up of the wheels and no struggling of the engine for a fraction of a second before shutting off - then it sounds like an inertia issue either with a wire somewhere, or, as someone else pointed out, a problem in the ignition switch.

One other possibility that I've read about elsewhere is when there is a lot of stuff hanging off the key chain - when braking hard suddenly, the stuff will swing forward, and depending on how it is attached to the ignition key, can rotate the key to the off position.

#14 ·
THANK YOU
It makes forums better when solution to question is posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.