Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited, Manual Transmission
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not many pictures or info on these out there. I like the ones I'm seeing on the Japanese car where it's a single piece.

I had a picture of a different style, but can't seem to find it now. Most of these look pretty much the same.

Where can I get these? Probably an expensive Japanese part?

Attachments

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Can't help you with a brand name but I know for certain that someone is still selling those one-piece shades in the USA.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
I think that the OEM Subaru ones attach to the black trim with some sort of clips and double sided tape. The aftermarket ones use double sided tape on the paint above the trim.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
My buddy has an '01 LL Bean with one left on it. I'll have to check it out to see if it's Subaru or aftermarket. I do know the one that's missing is obvious. There's tape residue on the paint.

·
Registered
2002 outback
443 Posts
i have those, and they suck. good for bling, and nothing else. actually, i think that if the window is open just a hair, the ventshades actually channel rainwater into the open window. leave the car parked with the windows open just a bit, and if a really heavy rainstorm happens, the wind will blow the water into the car. ask me how i know. save your money

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
Try the weathertec you"ll be happy with those. No clips, no tape, no glue, to speak of.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I didn't think there was anything like that available for frameless window Outbacks. So much for getting my hopes up.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
nope. the weathertec goes in the window channel, which the subie no hava. only works with doors that have window frames
You are so wrongggggggggg Have them in my 2013 OB. With many others I'm sure.

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5 with 5 Speed
143 Posts
You are so wrongggggggggg Have them in my 2013 OB. With many others I'm sure.
I could be wrong, but your 2013 has a standard door with a frame around the window. This gives your visors a place to be mounted either on the paint or in your case the window channel.

On the 2nd gen (which is what he is asking about) it does NOT have the ability to install these type of window visors. Our door is frame less and has nothing to install them on. The few that are actually offered have to mount to the body of the car and be very short for the door to clear.

I know you were talking to the other poster that said subaru's don't have them, but I wanted to clear it up for the OP. The 2nd Gen does not have the same ability that you car does. :29:

·
Registered
405 Posts
I could be wrong, but your 2013 has a standard door with a frame around the window. This gives your visors a place to be mounted either on the paint or in your case the window channel.

On the 2nd gen (which is what he is asking about) it does NOT have the ability to install these type of window visors. Our door is frame less and has nothing to install them on. The few that are actually offered have to mount to the body of the car and be very short for the door to clear.

I know you were talking to the other poster that said subaru's don't have them, but I wanted to clear it up for the OP. The 2nd Gen does not have the same ability that you car does. :29:
You are right sir, And I apologize for that, but weathertec, does make a good visor for a frame window auto or truck.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts

·
Registered
2002 outback
443 Posts
There are Subaru branded rain guards that mount to the window trim, but they may not be available in the US market. User: rkenicki installed some on his.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my-usdm-2004-lifted-legacy-rs30-200813p7.html?t=200813&page=7&highlight="lifted+rs30"

I don't know how well they work at keeping rain out, but they do seem to attach only to the black window trim rather than to the paint.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/20202-rkrenicki.html
look closely at the pics of where the "rainguards" start, up front, by the outside mirrors. there is a pretty good open space. when i drive in rain, and crack the window, that space kinda channels water around the base of the mirror, and into the cabin. these "rainguards" were designed by someone for appearance, not function. and i say again, "rainguards" dont work on frameless windows. i also have the weathertec on our mazdas, and while they are a lot better than the ones on the sube, i would not pay for them again. one would think they would work like the sunroof deflector, but to me they amplify the wind noise so that it is irritating. a long time ago, and i forget what car i had, there was a company that made them called monsoons. they were a lot bigger, but they worked. it's like whomever designed the monsoons actually took them out in the rain to make sure they would work.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
look closely at the pics of where the "rainguards" start, up front, by the outside mirrors. there is a pretty good open space. when i drive in rain, and crack the window, that space kinda channels water around the base of the mirror, and into the cabin. these "rainguards" were designed by someone for appearance, not function. and i say again, "rainguards" dont work on frameless windows. i also have the weathertec on our mazdas, and while they are a lot better than the ones on the sube, i would not pay for them again. one would think they would work like the sunroof deflector, but to me they amplify the wind noise so that it is irritating. a long time ago, and i forget what car i had, there was a company that made them called monsoons. they were a lot bigger, but they worked. it's like whomever designed the monsoons actually took them out in the rain to make sure they would work.
I noticed when I turned sharply in a parking lot (after a rain) and had the window down it came rolling into the cabin. I could only laugh....

What would be the difference between frame-less windows with functionality?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I noticed when I turned sharply in a parking lot (after a rain) and had the window down it came rolling into the cabin. I could only laugh....

What would be the difference between frame-less windows with functionality?
Subaru has used frameless windows for eons until the Tribeca, except the SVX. It makes for a clean appearance and a lighter door.

You mostly only see them in cars with T-tops (past), removable roof panels (Corvette, etc.) or convertibles, since you don't want a window frame subtracting from the look.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Subaru has used frameless windows for eons until the Tribeca, except the SVX. It makes for a clean appearance and a lighter door.

You mostly only see them in cars with T-tops (past), removable roof panels (Corvette, etc.) or convertibles, since you don't want a window frame subtracting from the look.
I meant with functionality with the window visors between the two window types.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts