Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new owner of a 2013 OB with the automatic vent controls, I've noticed that when I set the mode switch of the ventilation system to direct heat to the floor, some heat comes out the windshield vents. Is this normal as no other make of car that I've had does this?

Thanks for any replies

·
Registered
18,300 Posts
Yes. There should be a diagram, like the one attached below, in the Owners Manual. At the upper right is the "floor" setting. Most of the airflow is directed down to the floor area vents, but some (smaller arrows) comes through the windshield defrost outlets, and some through the outlets at the far sides. These are intended to provide some demisting of the windows without the AC compressor coming on. The compressor works whenever the system is set to either of the two vent settings that show the windshield diagram (lower row in the attached).

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. There should be a diagram, like the one attached below, in the Owners Manual. At the upper right is the "floor" setting. Most of the airflow is directed down to the floor area vents, but some (smaller arrows) comes through the windshield defrost outlets, and some through the outlets at the far sides. These are intended to provide some demisting of the windows without the AC compressor coming on. The compressor works whenever the system is set to either of the two vent settings that show the windshield diagram (lower row in the attached).
Great info!
Thank you for responding and for the references.

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
As a new owner of a 2013 OB with the automatic vent controls, I've noticed that when I set the mode switch of the ventilation system to direct heat to the floor, some heat comes out the windshield vents. Is this normal as no other make of car that I've had does this?

Thanks for any replies
It was one of those things that looked good on paper but became a "If it isn't broke don't try and fix it" thing

It directs far too much air to the defrost vents which makes my Outback the only vehicle I have ever had where my feet are constantly cold while I am hot from the waist up.

Subaru engineers really in my opinion need to drop the push button vent select system and go back to the slider knob cars had for decades where you could set it anywhere between full floor heat and defrost you wanted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was one of those things that looked good on paper but became a "If it isn't broke don't try and fix it" thing

It directs far too much air to the defrost vents which makes my Outback the only vehicle I have ever had where my feet are constantly cold while I am hot from the waist up.

Subaru engineers really in my opinion need to drop the push button vent select system and go back to the slider knob cars had for decades where you could set it anywhere between full floor heat and defrost you wanted.
That's exactly my issue. My feet are cold and there's too much heat rolling up the windshield on my head. I also noticed that when in Dual Mode, if the passenger turns their temp down, it slightly reduces the temp of the air coming in on the drivers side. I agree, bring back the manual controls.

·
Registered
2017 OB Premium 2.5 CVT
137 Posts
Use the vent/floor setting and close all the vents. That way all the heat gets directed to the floor.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
And also, switch to re-circulation of air; that will heat up feet well area well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts