Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to this forum and would like to ask if anyone can help with the following problem: My early 2009 Outback heater vents emits slightly warmish air even though the outside air is much cooler. The Set Temp. is set to 18 Deg. C. Everything else works fine, and when I switch on the AC, I get good cold air. It is if the heater water tap is leaking hot water, but I am suspecting that these cars do not have a conventional heater water tap? I could probably fix this if I new where to start. Thanks to anyone who can help.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
Do you have the autoclimate control. 65* being the minimum?

I have to run my A/C anytime outside temps are near 60...silly huh.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
I think @plain OM has the goods on this one. He once suggested that the plastic housing at the cowl line and the plastic ducting that is the intake fore the cabin air gets preheated. In my cars the turbo downpipe is right on the other side of the firewall. I never did test the theory. Today will be a perfect day to do so. It is supposed to be 65*F and and sunny today. Cherry is in the shade until 1pm and gets no direct sun on the front. I could shoot vent temps in my drive doing errands. Guaranteed I have to park in the sun. Hmm....

It doesn't explain why the ACC just will not blow fresh air. It has to be below 50*f for the top vents to blow anything even resembling cool. But my feet and hands still freeze when its actually cold out.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,080 Posts
I'm guessing you have the automatic climate control system, correct?

It's well known that the blend motor actuators on the system have a tendency to "forget" how to work for some reason and they constantly fluctuate and hunt for their proper position but never stop moving. Mine doesn't know how to blend properly between windshield defrost, floor, and vents. It will go back and forth unless I set it on defrost, then it seems to stop moving.
I'm guessing the heat blend door isn't closing all the way on yours. As far as fixing.... unless you're good at taking a dash apart, the dealer is going to become your new best friend.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,578 Posts
If you turn the HVAC system off completely, and listen, do you hear constant squeaking? Like the world's worst disc jockey?

Like @Logie_OBXT said, you probably have a few blend door and/or temperature door actuators that cannot hold their proper position. Few are accessible without dash disassembly, but the rest will require extensive labor.

·
Registered
2012 Outback - 2005 Outback XT
370 Posts
Automatic climate control? Both sides exhibit the symptom, or just one?

Assuming auto cc, likely an issue with an actuator. If you're lucky, just the one on the driver side which is somewhat accessible.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
596 Posts
Automatic climate control? Both sides exhibit the symptom, or just one?

Assuming auto cc, likely an issue with an actuator. If you're lucky, just the one on the driver side which is somewhat accessible.

Ruby has recent experience with this! Maybe you could send him the video link to give an idea of what he's looking at labor-wise?

I'm hoping to find a source for the actuators and replace all mine once the weather gets more agreeable.

I'm wondering what the latest year of manufacturing will work with our Gen 3's?

Honestly, I wish my LL Bean didn't have the auto cc, it's a pain in the..........

·
Registered
2012 Outback - 2005 Outback XT
370 Posts
Ruby has recent experience with this! Maybe you could send him the video link to give an idea of what he's looking at labor-wise?

I'm hoping to find a source for the actuators and replace all mine once the weather gets more agreeable.

I'm wondering what the latest year of manufacturing will work with our Gen 3's?

Honestly, I wish my LL Bean didn't have the auto cc, it's a pain in the..........
There is a YouTube video out there for the passenger side. It requires quite a bit of disassembly.
Driver side only requires minor disassembly, but small hands and exceptional dexterity.
Figuring out the correct part number was my biggest challenge.
Pinpointing the problem is the first order of business though. Too much work involved in parts swapping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts