Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I verify that my traffic nav is working? I don't seem to be getting any alerts when I think I should be. The receiver is marked as enabled. But beyond that I can't tell much else.

When I first got the car, it was marking stuff everywhere (and was very accurate). But that hasn't been the case since.

Also, is it possible to switch the time display to 24h format?

·
Registered
832 Posts
It's been noted on here that the traffic stuff is generally provided, and the provider would be the one responsible for making the announcements. Though I don't have an OEM nav, the aftermarket one has worked a few times as I would expect. It's my wife's car so I don't drive it that often but she hasn't complained. I would look into the provider to see how often they receive updates (or from who for that matter) and how often the send out updates. It could be that you happened to fall within the window between the two.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
My post from another thread:

Basically there are two traffic reporting system: SiriusXM's NavTraffic and Clear Channel's FM-based Total Traffic Network.

Garmin devices use either of them so you'd have to check on your model to see which it uses. Units with "FM transmitters" use TTN afaik.

Avoid the Jam With Real-Time Traffic Reports - Edmunds.com

Either way, the notices are only as good as the services that provide them. I have no experience with SiriusXM's service but my Garmin uses the FM system and it usually lags behind when it comes to major traffic issues.

EDIT: More links to read, they are a few years old though:

Best GPS traffic service: XM or FM/TMC? | GPS Tracklog
GpsPasSion Forums - Fm Traffic Vs. XM Traffic
Navigation units and the traffic providers aren't omnipotent. It takes time for the alerts to make it to the GPU units. Abnormal traffic has to be identified and then reported to whatever company is sending out the alerts.

The bottom line is that traffic alerts are only as good as the provider who is providing them and they will always take some time to be processed by the hosting party and then disseminated.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My post from another thread:

Navigation units and the traffic providers aren't omnipotent. It takes time for the alerts to make it to the GPU units. Abnormal traffic has to be identified and then reported to whatever company is sending out the alerts.

The bottom line is that traffic alerts are only as good as the provider who is providing them and they will always take some time to be processed by the hosting party and then disseminated.
So, my Outback is equipped with XM Traffic nav. I just want to verify that it is authorized.

Also, as I said, on the first day driving it, it had all kinds of alerts. Even for inactive (but in progress) construction areas.

Since that day, I've not seen a peep from it. Which makes me wonder if its XM nav subscription is still working.

Also wondering if there's any hidden menu items to get me to a 24h clock.

·
Registered
982 Posts
So yesterday my XM got shut off after 3 months, not 4 as the car was sold. I contacted SOA who called XM. XM confirmed I never had the traffic turned on and it was only setup for 3. XM is supposed to call me and square everything away. Kudos to SOA for calling XM themselves for me.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe that's what I should do, foxrider. Did you call them? What information did they need?

·
Registered
604 Posts
It seems to be routine for XM to do this to those of us that have SAT. I am just waiting for my 3 mo point so I can call the dealer and do the same thing.
I know that I will not go without SAT but will do as good a deal as possible regarding the subscription.

Wonderful product iffy management...

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like 24h display is a no-go. At least for now. Oddly enough, the sun up/sun down settings for nav display colors displays time in 24h format. Weird. The old system it was easy-peasy to turn on.

SOA is working out my traffic issues with XM. They've had a lot of other callers about this.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Looks like 24h display is a no-go. At least for now. Oddly enough, the sun up/sun down settings for nav display colors displays time in 24h format. Weird. The old system it was easy-peasy to turn on.

SOA is working out my traffic issues with XM. They've had a lot of other callers about this.
I called SOA over 2 months ago about mine. Still not fixed. Details in this thread; http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/47304-warning-about-xm-satellite-radio-trial.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
mpnret
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing