Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT Limited
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 5sp manual transmission the same on the (2006) Turbo and non-Turbo Outback engines?

I have a 2006 Outback XT with 5 sp manual transmission and 73k miles. The clutch disintegrated and apparently chewed up the input shaft to the transmission. So I'm looking for a used transmission but am uncertain whether the transmission is the same on the Turbo and non-Turbo engines. (The new price is exactly the same at SubaruParts.com). Thanks for your help.

In case you are interested in the backgroud to the disintegration, I do pull a 1,200 lb sailboat and trailer to the marina each weekend and sometime take long trips with the boat. I also pull small powerboats in and out of the water fairly regularly. I also let other people use my car to pull those powerboats in and out of the water. Probably a mistake because I've smelled hot clutch material afterwards on occassion.

The clutch throw-out bearing (I believe) started making some noise. I didn't do anything about it. Then the clutch started shuddering a bit more than usual. It has always had a narrow slip point. Then one day driving home from work things got bad in a hurry. I was having problems shifting gears because I could not disengage the clutch (or is it engage?? I never know.). Then it went all the way to the floor and did not come back up.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
276 Posts
Hmm, I'm only speculating, but heres what may have happened. Your throw out bearing may have seized, breaking the clutch pressure plate. The broken pressure plate ruined the input shaft of the transmission. No pressure plate and/or throw out bearing is why your pedal won't return.

Or I'm completely wrong.

Are NA and Turbo transmissions the same?

No idea.

Not much help, am I?

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,107 Posts
I believe for 06 the 5sp in the WRX got a newer/different 1st gear synchro - - so - if that was across the board, you'd be advised not to get an 05 or older for certain.

wonder if a 6sp would bolt in?

I don't know anything else.

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT Limited
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mechanic says the rivots came apart on the clutch plate. I wonder if the "suddering" beat on those rivots and cause them fail. Or maybe the material was just worn too thin? Who knows.

I gave up looking for a used transmission although I had a lead on one out in Washington State.

Fourcad in Gaithersburg is going to rebuilt the transmisson for about $1,600. They seem to be one of the few (only?) places that rebuilds manual transmission in the Washington DC area.

·
Registered
2006 Outback Wagon 2.5i 5spd MT Atlantic Blue Pearl
261 Posts
They are different transmissions. If you look at 2006 Subaru Outback Research site: prices, options, colors, specs, photos and more, you'll see different gear ratios for the 2.5i and the XT, with the XT having taller gears. Of course, the next question would be "can you put the 2.5i 5MT in the XT regardless?" That, I do not know. I can at least tell you that, if it's possible, it'll be easier to get the car rolling, but top speed will go down (and possibly fuel economy, depending on how you drive it). I also don't know if you could take a tranny from an Impreza/WRX/STI (5MT or 6MT), or a different generation OB. Honestly, I'd try and find a tranny from another Gen 3 XT if possible.

As for engage/disengage, pushing the clutch pedal = disengaging the clutch, releasing the pedal = engaging the clutch. Disengaging the clutch is disconnecting the engine from the tranny so you can shift, then you connect the two again by engaging the clutch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts