Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it wouldnt start this morning, we are having cooler weather. When I got home after work it fired up after multiple attempts and needing to keep my foot on the gas, runs rough though! Here are my CELs:

P0171: System Too Lean Bank 1
P0037: HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0303: Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0305: Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

I bought new Spark Plugs, FPR and Fuel pump O-rings, should I replace all those before going into this any further?

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
479 Posts
If your unsure of the history/condition of the plugs, or know they haven't been done in awhile, I would toss those in. Make sure they're NGKs.

I wouldn't touch the fuel pump or regulator without doing some other diagnostic testing.

I would print out the relevant pages from the FSM on those DTCs, and look for any commonality. Obviously they're all on bank 1. Sensor 2 shouldn't have any effect on the way it's running, and heater circuit low generally means the sensor is bad (could also be wiring), so I would focus more on the other codes.

·
Registered
4, Gen 2 H6's: 2001 LLBean, 2002 LLBean, 2002 VDC, 2003 Plain...I love the H6's!
204 Posts
ok I'll start with the plugs, do you know what gap they should be at???
I believe gap should be .044.

Remove the nut from each engine mount and jack up the engine a couple inches in order to more easily reach the plugs on each side. If the valve cover gaskets are leaking oil, you may want to consider also replacing the valve cover and spark plug gaskets while you're at it because you'll "be in there anyway".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I just pulled out the fuel pump, the cap looks fine but the Pump itself was sitting sideways in the housing and was not fully seated, the white housing was disconected on the bottom part of the pump.
Also inside the tank was a piece of rubber that looks like it sits under the pump. I pulled it out and looks like I can just rebuild it and put it together propperly???
Should I still remove the cap and replace the O ring??

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,423 Posts
o2 sensor causing retarding / misfires maybe. swap for a new denso and see if it goes away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts