Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
17,862 Posts
Nope... thats corrosion. Here is what it looks like after the vinegar/salt dip
It looks as if at least some of those contacts have lost their "spring"; the openings appear to be wider open. That's probably going to be causing intermittent connections, especially with heat and vibration. Replacing the terminals, as is contemplated, is a good idea.

How's the mating connector?

·
Registered
06 BAJA EJ251
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
It looks as if at least some of those contacts have lost their "spring"; the openings appear to be wider open. That's probably going to be causing intermittent connections, especially with heat and vibration. Replacing the terminals, as is contemplated, is a good idea.

its about the same on both sides. There are i think 5 different connection points there. I may try to dig up a wiring diagram and see which ones are the most critical and start with those.

·
Registered
06 BAJA EJ251
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

I am going to indeed replace it but the more i think about it i am not sure this is the problem. If the care had intermittent issues i would think wiring issue but its like clockwork. i crank the care (it cold) drive 1/2 mile though the neighborhood down a steep hill and turn around, coming up the first time the car is at 100% plenty of power. drive around the neighborhood one more and back to the bottom of the hill and the second time I pull out, pedal to the floor it just creeps up the hill until it hits about 2500 rmp then it seems to take off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
2 thoughts -
1) do you know the ecu is right for the car?
B) this sounds a lot like limp-home mode behavior ... As if the ecu gave up on getting good data from 1 or more sensors.

Ok, 1 more:
3) if the connectors you showed us are any indication, what to all the rest look like?

TPS and MAF ok?

Ok, that's 4, no charge.

·
Registered
06 BAJA EJ251
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I am searching right now to see if it has the right ecu its a 22611AL54B. The car does seem like its in limp mode when pulling out on steep hills but on flat ground and once you get above 2500 rmp it runs i would say 85-90% when the car is cold it runs at 100% I have re-calibrated the the tps and installed a new map. Even though its a 2006 it has a EJ251 from the factory. As far as i can tell the BAJA did not use the EJ253. That connector was the worst one. It cleaned up good and the rest did as well. The ECU has been replaced, all of those connectors are in great shape. I have ordered a cable and downloaded romraider so hopefully that will give a lot more info. My scanner will read and record live data but only 100 frames.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,067 Posts
I am starting to wonder whether the car is starting in 2nd or 3rd gear when it acts up instead of 1st.

Try to take the hill when it doesn't want to by pulling the shifter down to 1st.

·
Registered
06 BAJA EJ251
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I am starting to wonder whether the car is starting in 2nd or 3rd gear when it acts up instead of 1st.

Try to take the hill when it doesn't want to by pulling the shifter down to 1st.
Its a manual transmission. Sorry I thought i said that.

·
Registered
17,862 Posts
I am searching right now to see if it has the right ecu its a 22611AL54B.
Looks as if it's correct, although a slightly earlier version, according to this site.

Also, confirmed on the same site that the engine used in the Baja does not have AVLS.

Waiting on getting Romraider Logger running. Logs should provide some clues.

·
Registered
06 BAJA EJ251
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hey guys, still here. Got my cable in today. I wasn't paying attention and ordered the wrong one. So it will next week before i can log anything. On a good note i received my tags today from the DMV so i will be able to drive it a but further than around the neighborhood without fear of being pulled over

·
Registered
06 BAJA EJ251
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
UPDATE.... well may have found my issue. Checked my rear cat tonight and it was 100 degrees hotter in the front compared to the rear.

·
Registered
17,862 Posts
lol spoke to soon. Got a gauge and tested the back pressure today and it was prefect... back to the drawing board and waiting on my cable
What type of gauge, and where was it connected?
Was that with the engine and exhaust relatively cool, or fully warmed up?

There have been cases of the cat converter (one or the other, or both) appearing to be clear by all tests when cool, but after they are fully up to temperature, the flow is restricted.

Here's one where vacuum measurement at the intake failed to show a restricted exhaust whereas the logged data had the clue -- the MAF g/s was flattening out as the engine rpm continued to go up above 3000.

Here's another where the data showed the same flattening of the MAF; it was noted, but not immediately related to the cat. In this case, there was also confusion about which of the two cats was faulty.

·
Registered
06 BAJA EJ251
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
What type of gauge, and where was it connected?
Was that with the engine and exhaust relatively cool, or fully warmed up?

There have been cases of the cat converter (one or the other, or both) appearing to be clear by all tests when cool, but after they are fully up to temperature, the flow is restricted.

Here's one where vacuum measurement at the intake failed to show a restricted exhaust whereas the logged data had the clue -- the MAF g/s was flattening out as the engine rpm continued to go up above 3000.

Here's another where the data showed the same flattening of the MAF; it was noted, but not immediately related to the cat. In this case, there was also confusion about which of the two cats was faulty.
It was just a standard vacuum and pressure gauge. I drilled a hole in right before the first cat and tested it cold and hot. Something is retarding my timing. When under load and its struggling the timing is always in the negative sometime -7 to -15. but its always 0 to negative when pulling out on a steep hill. I am going to test it today when its cold and see what the timing adv is cold. my cable should be here next week but i cannot leave anything alone lol

·
Registered
06 BAJA EJ251
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Here is a video of a run i did while the car was cold. It was down a steep hill and back up. I stopped at the top and pulled back out. I am going to do the same run tonight when the car is warmed up and not running right.

·
Registered
06 BAJA EJ251
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Here is a video of a run i did while the car was cold. It was down a steep hill and back up. I stopped at the top and pulled back out. I am going to do the same run tonight when the car is warmed up and not running right.

·
Registered
17,862 Posts
Could you please add your car details to your UserCP (Account) so that it shows in the column at left, or add it as a "signature".

The timing is definitely odd. It's not reaching levels I would expect, e.g., in the high 20s or 30s.

The timing is affected by a range of other factors, and that's where a complete log comes in handy, as we can see multiple parameters at the same time.

·
Registered
06 BAJA EJ251
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Could you please add your car details to your UserCP (Account) so that it shows in the column at left, or add it as a "signature".

The timing is definitely odd. It's not reaching levels I would expect, e.g., in the high 20s or 30s.

The timing is affected by a range of other factors, and that's where a complete log comes in handy, as we can see multiple parameters at the same time.
My cable will be in this week. The bad part is this log is from when the car is running good lol.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts