Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 EJ25
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Outback 2.5 that has a small leak coming from, I think, the Water Pump gasket. When I park the car, I'll get a 1 drop pool on the garage floor. I also smell Antifreeze at times when I get out of the car. The temp is normal on the gauge and the radiator is not low on coolant. Is this most likely the beginning of the end of the water pump? I have ordered a timing belt/water pump kit as it's almost time to change it again. The car has 165,00 miles on it and it was at about 91,000 when the water pump and belt were last done. I am the original owner. As an addition, the Head gaskets were done at 122,000 miles.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Could be several issues. As cold as it has been, you might tighten any coolant hose clamps that are the screw type if you see any sign of leaks.

Keep on eye on the temp gauge and don't let it get low. Otherwise I think you'll be fine until you get a chance to get those new parts in.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
I have an upper radiator hose where the aluminum hose spout on the block is pretty corroded, no matter how tight the clamp it drips a tiny bit, take it apart and clean it and it's good for another couple years.
Could be a similar issue if the drip is working its way over.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
definitely monitor inside the radiator, some folks mistakenly rely on the overflow bottle but it is not always an accurate reflection of total coolant volume when there is a cooling problem.

some folks have used the Subaru Coolant Conditioner to solve small drips/leaks, but that may best be used for external headgasket weeping?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
definitely monitor inside the radiator, some folks mistakenly rely on the overflow bottle but it is not always an accurate reflection of total coolant volume when there is a cooling problem.

some folks have used the Subaru Coolant Conditioner to solve small drips/leaks, but that may best be used for external headgasket weeping?
Definitely monitoring the Radiator. It is always full, so far. I checked the Invoice when the dealer replaced the water pump and timing belt at 91,000. I was a bit surprised that none of the idlers or tensioner were replaced. I suspect, even though it's a little early to do the belt again, it will be smart to change out all the parts. I have never done it myself so wish me luck. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
if the toothed idler wasn't replaced - it's on borrowed time. maybe tensioner too.

nothing really wrong with accelerating the next timing system service schedule if you think something critical was skipped last time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unbelievably, our 2003 Outback is dripping from the same spot! now I have (2) Outbacks with waterpump/thermostat issues.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could be several issues. As cold as it has been, you might tighten any coolant hose clamps that are the screw type if you see any sign of leaks.

Keep on eye on the temp gauge and don't let it get low. Otherwise I think you'll be fine until you get a chance to get those new parts in.
We have a winner! It seems adding Coolant conditioner and tightening hose clamps has fixed the issue for now. I have the Timing belt kit w/water pump, factory thermostat, ready to go next week and will change it out as soon as I build up my nerve. I bought an extra bottle of coolant conditioner for the overhaul. What is the best antifreeze for Gen 2 Outbacks, in your opinion? This is all for the 2001. I have an extra factory t-stat for the 2003 if I need to replace it.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Gen 2 took basic green.

I have Pentosin A2 in mine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got around to the timing belt/water pump replacement. One thing that seems the most difficult is keeping the drivers side cam lined up. It seems it's under spring tension that the passenger side doesn't seem to have. When I removed the old belt, the cam sprocket jumped about an 1/8th of a turn. I was able to finally balance it out where it would line up. With the old belt off, did I screw up anything turning the cam around to line it back up?

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
if the crank sprocket had been turned to the belt installation position, valves can NOT hit the pistons.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The crank never moved, only the drivers side cam pulley. If I'm thinking about this correctly, it shouldn't matter how many turns of the cam you make to get it back lined up with the belt off, as long as the crank stays in position? Correct?

·
Registered
2000 (2nd Gen) Outback wagon 2.5 manual Dual Range
79 Posts
My 2000 outback started weeping on the side where the water pump was and it started getting progressively worse. The timing belt was due so I had the timing belt, idlers and water pump replaced.
That was 3.5 years ago haven't had any issues since. I would say if the timing belt is due you should do the water pump with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts