Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 outback. Last oil change around 500 miles ago. When checking dipstick noticed level is a lil high and has a very strong gasoline smell. Very concerned. Ugh. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
124 Posts
Could be a stuck injector. Needs to be fixed ASAP. Gas will wash the oil off of bearing surfaces and cause premature engine wear!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I’m thinking that or bad piston rings. Neither of which will be a cheap fix I’m guessing. I’ve already put money into some other extensive repairs repairs recently. This might jus be the end of the line for me.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,039 Posts
2000 outback. Last oil change around 500 miles ago. When checking dipstick noticed level is a lil high and has a very strong gasoline smell. Very concerned. Ugh. Thoughts?
What are your current driving habits (short less than 10 minute drives or drives longer than 40 minutes, what ambient temperature are you driving in etc) as driving conditions greatly influence many things with a vehicle.

If you are in a cold area doing frequent short trips, less than 10 minutes, then the problem you are having is expected and you simply need to change the oil more frequently to compensate for the “severe driving conditions“ your vehicle is experiencing.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
124 Posts
I disagree with calling this an "expected" issue. Modern systems can compensate. Fuel enough to change the oil level and strong odor is not normal and is harmful to the engine.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,012 Posts
Agree, fuel is leaking into the the engine most likely through an injector that is not closing. There may be other points of entry possible but a leaking injector is most likely. The fuel system maintains a volume of gasoline in the fuel rail when the engine is off and that can leak down through an injector into the cylinder. From there the gas flows into the crankcase ending up in the oil pan.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
124 Posts
Yeah I’m thinking that or bad piston rings. Neither of which will be a cheap fix I’m guessing. I’ve already put money into some other extensive repairs repairs recently. This might jus be the end of the line for me.
So you have any OBD codes? If it is an injector, they are not hard to replace. Cheaper than a new car, especially if you've already spent money to maintain it. Tough call.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked the codes and nothing comes up. Would injector issue throw a code? I don’t know much about this car. It’s a 2000 outback sedan, which I’ve heard is more of a Legacy. It has 128,927 miles. An older man,who knows my father gave it to me for nothing 3 weeks ago. He was very sick and was going to donate it to a charity but instead gave it to me. He has now passed. What I do know is that he was the only owner, loved the car and took care of it and based on the condition I believe he stayed up on routine maintenance. When he became ill over past year he stopped driving and it sat in his driveway. Battery was dead obviously and it had a trans leak (fluid was in driveway). My father had it towed to a garage to have a mechanic address the issues, which ended up being some big stuff. Trans cooler lines were leaking, had those replaced. Must’ve been a coolant leak as well because the intake manifold gaskets were also replaced, system flushed. So I’m $1200 in. It sucks cuz it’s a great car, despite the issues the thing runs great for 20 years old. I’ve read up on the- cold weather, short drives not bringing engine up to temp may lead to lil gas in oil, but this is def not that. The gas smell is way strong right out of the dipstick. I can’t believe it would dilute it to that extent just because of that. I guess all I could really do is get it diagnosed somewhere but, I have terrible luck with cars so I’m expecting the worst. All I know is that what’s going on with that oil isn’t normal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also decided to take chance on this car cuz the junk Jeep Compass I had (still do, haven’t gotten rid of yet) has a completely rusted through sub frame and has been a headache from day one. So,

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
124 Posts
I wonder if the work to replace the intake manifold didn't cause a fuel problem. Maybe the mechanic could go back and check his work if this started after that job.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,179 Posts
Geez.. $1200 just for those items? I'm working on Subaru's all wrong then...

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,169 Posts
I'm working on Subaru's all wrong then...
But you have our admiration for the fine work that you do, and the clear, image-heavy documentary that accompanies it on these forums. And you can't assign a worth to that, now, can you? :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder if the work to replace the intake manifold didn't cause a fuel problem. Maybe the mechanic could go back and check his work if this started after that job.
So, the possibility of an injector being stuck open or something like that after intake manifold repair is a possibility? I am actually not shocked because quite honestly this mechanic wasn’t the best. the first time he worked on trans cooler hose, it blew apart 15 miles after picking up from his shop. Like blew apart- lost all tranny fluid had to get towed. Obviously the hose he had put on wasn’t able to handle the pressure. Only went back to him because I knew it was because of poor workmanship and wanted it repaired with no additional labor fees. Had the transmission tested to make sure it was still ok after the blowout, then had the whole line assembly and hoses ordered through a dealership. Thus car great car and sadly it seems even more apparent now that it just got into the wrong hands.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, being that the first round of tranny line work was junk by him I wouldn’t be surprised if he screwed up on some of the other things that were done. I want to cry.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
124 Posts
It's possible he created the problem but not for sure. A manifold removal disrupts the fuel system. Seems like more than coincidence. Can someone pull the spark plugs and see if one is wet? Maybe look for a broken wire on the injector harness. Could be something like a bad FPR. Fuel Pressure Regulator. If you don't trust the guy you may have to get someone else to look at it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Def don’t trust the guy. Absolutely not one bit and will for sure be taking it to someone else for it to be checked out. the experience was so terrible with this person that will gladly pay someone else to take a look at it. I so appreciate the insight.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
124 Posts
Ps: I wouldn't advise driving it with fuel in the oilpan. The fuel will wash out the lubrication between contact surfaces and cause premature wear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haven’t been driven since I noticed it 2 days ago. But I did get new oil and filter. Gonna have my husband change it out.you think be ok to drive 5 miles after that to the shop I’m going to or should I just have towed?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts