Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I would imagine that oil will have to be changed again after doing that too. There’s quite a bit of gas in it.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
81 Posts
If you change it, it will be okay for a trip to the shop. Be sure and tell them what was worked so they can check that out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So my paranoia getting best of me . However, when I did have the mechanic check it out he informed me of weeping oil from head gasket. Burning smell I was having was from it landing on exhaust. Not surprised. This generation, and mileage at 129,000 no previous head gasket repair. So, because I believe in this car, the previous owners taking exceptional care of it, I am going through with the repair.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
However, when I did have the mechanic check it out he informed me of weeping oil from head gasket. Burning smell I was having was from it landing on exhaust. Not surprised. This generation, and mileage at 129,000 no previous head gasket repair. So, because I believe in this car, the previous owners taking exceptional care of it, I am going through with the repair.
When you say "the mechanic" is this the same guy that botched the transmission job and that you don't trust any more, or a different mechanic?

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
81 Posts
What about the raised oil level? Was it just overfilled? It was oil not fuel you smell?
Did he speculate why the gasket is leaking? Wrong one? Heads not flat?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
When you say "the mechanic" is this the same guy that botched the transmission job and that you don't trust any more, or a different mechanic?
No!!! My mechanic, who has done all repairs on my vehicles over past 5 yrs. not the dip—— my father had do the tranny lines and intake man
When you say "the mechanic" is this the same guy that botched the transmission job and that you don't trust any more, or a different mechanic? So
No! Def not same mechanic. My mechanic who has worked on all my vehicles over past five yrs.
No! Not that scumbag. this was my mechanic, who’s worked on all of our vehicles over last 5 yrs. sent out an oil analysis, apparently the fuel in oil was very low? I’m the type to freak the f Out, a bit of a hypochondriac. But I’m had him inspect the whole care as to determining if it was worth keeping. He informed me of the weeping head gasket

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
What about the raised oil level? Was it just overfilled? It was oil not fuel you smell?
Did he speculate why the gasket is leaking? Wrong one? Heads not flat?
i appreciate the support solver ony
It was actually a very effective and emphatic reply! Relieved to know you're in good hands.
[/QUOT
It was actually a very effective and emphatic reply! Relieved to know you're in good hands.
i appreciate your support silveronyx!! Seriously, pretty much the everyone in my life has told me I’m nuts to drop the money into this repair in such an old car, but as I said before, it’s in excellent condition and the stuff that has been and will be repaired is considered pretty normal for this generation. And being that I dated a Subaru enthusiast for many years previously I can’t give up because I know the reliability of these vehicles after some unfortunate needed repairs. I can’t wait until the day I can say I’m rockin a 2000 and it’s been well worth the money in repairs. Got a mechanic I know is good Peking on it now so m super hopeful

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ugh. Sorry, should probably post off of the comp rather than phone cuz I’m screwing up somehow

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
And being that I dated a Subaru enthusiast for many years previously I can’t give up because I know the reliability of these vehicles after some unfortunate needed repairs. I can’t wait until the day I can say I’m rockin a 2000 and it’s been well worth the money in repairs. Got a mechanic I know is good Peking on it now so m super hopeful
I have a newer Subaru now, but I miss the simplicity and purity of the older Subarus I've had. They're safe, well engineered. A good one without significant rust is worth saving. Repairing a good car is much more environmentally sound than buying a new one, not to mention being a better investment! We've become conditioned to think newer is better and that things are disposable instead of repairable. It's a travesty. You're doing the right thing. With the highly complex newer cars with so many more things to go wrong, that dynamic might change. Older subarus were designed to be repaired and kept on the road. I'm just hoping that my new one continues that tradition. Time will tell.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have a newer Subaru now, but I miss the simplicity and purity of the older Subarus I've had. They're safe, well engineered. A good one without significant rust is worth saving. Repairing a good car is much more environmentally sound than buying a new one, not to mention being a better investment! We've become conditioned to think newer is better and that things are disposable instead of repairable. It's a travesty. You're doing the right thing. With the highly complex newer cars with so many more things to go wrong, that dynamic might change. Older subarus were designed to be repaired and kept on the road. I'm just hoping that my new one continues that tradition. Time will tell.
Thank you for this post!! That was what I was facing, leasing something new or putting the money into this. I love in upstate ny. A “salt state” because of our winters and the fact that this cars frame is hardly touched by rust, by being stored by snow birds, made me pause before thinking of leasing a new car. I’m not dumb, it’s 20 yrs old, needs some love, but my heart of hearts is telling me that it is worth it. If it had been owned previously by careless people this could be a very different story. I’m willing to take my chances and put the money into it because I just have a gut feeling about this vehicle. I am confident in “my” mechanic and what he has suggested as being the fix. I’ve read up about it and most successful head gasket repair suggests resurfacing of cylinder heads and new head bolts a long with the gaskets. All that he has suggested, and since engine Will be pulled, let’s do the timing belt with all components and the water pump. I paid nothing for this car. A couple grand for a few years maybe more seems reasonable to me in the big scheme Of things

21 - 33 of 33 Posts