Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006, Outback XT, 2.5 DOHC Turbo
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so I’ve searched the forums and didn’t find anything. Quick question (I hope)

I think some of the seals in my turbo are leaking causing leaks on the intake side.

I don’t want to get a bigger turbo because I don’t have time or money to get a tune with it. But I’ve heard you can get a billet compressor wheel and it improves performance. I found a place that sells the new center and seals with the billet wheel for like $550. Is it worth it to get the billet. Anyone rebuilt their turbo?

Subaru Legacy GT 2005-2007 IHI VF40 CHRA 14411AA51A - XSBoost Turbochargers

·
Registered
516 Posts
Any turbo change that increases performance should be tuned. There really are no shortcuts that are worth taking on a turbo suby. If it doesn’t need a tune you’re not likely to notice where your $600 even went.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So until I’m ready then just redo the seals? Are they difficult?

And thanks. I’ve been eyeballing a moderate upgraded turbo, but the internet is flooded with different options. Guess I will get my base tune done soon and then make the upgrade!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,080 Posts
So until I’m ready then just redo the seals? Are they difficult?
Does the drummer from Def Leppard work twice as hard?

It's not that it's difficult to work on, and it isn't easy, it's that there's so many places it could be leaking and just diving in can cause more issues than you're solving.

You'd be best to try a pressure test to perhaps point you where to start looking for the leaks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol. I laughed. Just. Google how to perform oil pressure test?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,080 Posts
Not specifically oil.

Air intake.

I made this pressure tester, but you can buy them premade or piece together your own.

And then put it in your air intake after the MAF hose and pressureize it.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts