Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day on the way to work i noticed that there was a vibration which traveled throughout the car. Seemed to be origionating from my tranny. I figured it was either ice inside the wheel or perhaps a shot cv joint. Took the wheel off in 5 degree weather and couldnt find anything except some ice build up. The problem continued for another day and i was afraid i was doing serious damage to the transmission.

I finally got under the car and saw ice surrounding the drive shaft to the rear diff. Took me an hour to clean it all out. All said and done there was probably about 15 pounds of this stuff resting on the heat shielding and rubbing against the driveshaft.

I was very suprised this type of thing would happen and certainly seemed like a serious engineering brain fart on subaru's part.
Has this type of thing happened to anyone else?

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
I had a similar experience last winter. Temps were down in the single digits and I had been driving through a lot of snow the night before. The next day I drove somewhere and as I got on the expressway I noticed a terrible vibration so I quickly returned home and did the same thing you did. I took all 4 tires off and looked for ice but found nothing. I just let it sit inside the garage the rest of the day because I couldn't figure it out.

The next day it warmed up slightly (teens) and the problem went away, my guess is I must've had the same ice build-up that you just described.

This morning my Brake light wouldn't go off, my parking brake line was frozen tight. I had to put it in reverse and give it a bunch of gas to get the tires moving, that action must've been enough to jar the brakes loose, because after I shut off and restarted the car the light went away. Phew, could've been worse! That's definitely something I'll have to have looked at come springtime.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Greenie--they make synth grease too, and it has many of the same advantages of synth oil (ie, doens't turn to mud in low temp). you might consider cleaning out p-brake cable sheath and re-greasing cable with synth.

gad, you people and your insistence on living where intelligent life weren't meant to be....:p just wait til the fluid in your viscous coupling freezes.....

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
cptoversteer said:
gad, you people and your insistence on living where intelligent life weren't meant to be....:p just wait til the fluid in your viscous coupling freezes.....
That's a risk I'm willing to take, because at the end of today I got to go have fun on snowpacked roads/parking lots and you didn't! Weeeeeee!

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
cptoversteer said:
gad, you people and your insistence on living where intelligent life weren't meant to be....:p
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. :14:

Anyhow, my first experience with ice buildup came in the wheel wells. I'm driving along--yes, in cold temperatures after a snow--and turn the corner, and the racket! I thought the wheel was about to fall off.

I got out and cleared the front wells; there was indeed lots of buildup, and frankly the Subaru's wells are pretty shallow.

Very strange the first time it happens.:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Resurrecting this thread because it saved me alot of grief. After about 5 inches of snow the other day I drove out, played around a little, got a sandwich and returned home. Next morning when I went to work hear a grinding noise. Check all four wheels expecting to find snow/ice accumulation, knocked out most of it, but the grinding continued. It seemed to be emanating from the parking brake area, so I figured the brake was frozen on. Parked it and took the other car to work for the day. The next day I test drove it again and worked the parking brake and I can feel it engage and disengage so that's not it. So off to this forum I go, and viola I find this thread. It sounds alot like my issue so, I put the car up on ramps and take a peek. Yep, a ton of ice and snow packed in the void between the heat shield and the drive line. Took me about 30 min to coerce all of it out, but now that it's gone problem solved. Thanks for the assist.:29:

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
This happen on AWD cars. There is not brain fart. Consumers want AWD ars that look like cars. There is only so much room in the tunnel for the driveshaft and everything else.

Just spray the area with PAM and that should take car of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
nipper
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing