Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to site and to Subaru. Just took delivery of 2014 Outback 3.6R with special appearance group. Looks good and rides great EXCEPT 60-70 MPH. Whole car vibrates. Feel mostly in butt. Sounds like some kid is in the back with a 500 watt amp and giant sub-woofer blasting. Took it back to dealer who load force balanced the wheels. Then swapped my wheels and tires for another. All without change. Service manager acknowledges problem but doesn't know what to do. I told him to check with Subaru techs or services reps for answers or solutions. Any one got same problem or suggestions?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
611 Posts
Symptoms sound like the half-shafts out of balance (drive shafts) if all wheels/tires replaced from another vehicle w/o the problem.

That's where I'd advise the dealer to pull the shafts from a non-vibration vehicle and that should do it unless they overlooked warped rotors.

Deanski

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
4,956 Posts
I moved your thread to the steering wheel shake sub-forum with a link which will remain in the main forum for a while.

I have a 2010 Outback which has always had shaker issues, has had the two shaker TSB services performed, and the problems have only gotten worse. I don't even have 32,000 miles on this thing yet! Anyway I called Subaru to complain and they said to take it back in to the dealership. I told the rep that I was not confident that they could fix the problem nor that it would ever be fixed. Don't allow my post to discourage you but be warned that you might not get a whole lot of help on this one.

Please call 1-800-782-2783 option 4 then option 4 again for assistance. Make sure to have at least the last 8 digits of your VIN on hand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. I was kinda hopin it would be an easy fix. I told the service mgr I'd call him back on Wednesday to see where we go from here.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I was kinda hopin it would be an easy fix. I told the service mgr I'd call him back on Wednesday to see where we go from here.
Well, I do not have that problem, but I, too, would say that my 2013 3.6 OB is the only of the four Subies I have had to exhibit a bit of unexpected vibration between 60 and 70. It is very slight, so much so that I do not really have that much of a case for an actual complaint (my wife does not even feel it). In addition, I quickly changed my Contis with AT tires at Sears, which would complicate any complaints. But I am pretty sure I felt the vibration earlier and I also have a friend with 2013 3.6 OB like mine who mentioned the same slight issue I have. It is so slight that it does not really bother me anymore, but if it were worse I would definitely make sure that the problem is addressed. After all, my wife and I buy Subaru-s in part due to the impressive quality and reliability of those we have had and the last thing I want to see with Subaru is commercial success at the expense of quality.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,569 Posts
Reading the OP's post kind of brought back my PTSD (post traumatic shaker disorder). :). When properly balanced and inflated tires didn't fix mine, I started down that long road to fix it. Hopefully this is not what it is as the original shake was pretty much solved by production in early 2011. My prediction...it's something else.

Go after SOA like a dog with a bone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My new 2014 3.6 ha been back to the dealer again for this 60-70 mph vibration issue. He's already swapped tires and wheel and driveshaft. Now the factory rep told him to replace the drive axles which he will do on Monday. I've been given a loaner a base 2.5 and there are no noticible vibration as compared to my 3.6 with Special Appearance Group. Go figure?

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT, 2015 3.6R Ltd (sold)
951 Posts
Wondering if this was resolved now that they've installed fresh, balanced driveline parts.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,569 Posts
My new 2014 3.6 ha been back to the dealer again for this 60-70 mph vibration issue. He's already swapped tires and wheel and driveshaft. Now the factory rep told him to replace the drive axles which he will do on Monday. I've been given a loaner a base 2.5 and there are no noticible vibration as compared to my 3.6 with Special Appearance Group. Go figure?
I had an '01 Forester with a wobble at low speed. The fix was replacement of the front drive axles...it was great after that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOWEE problem is solved. Dealer had the car for 2 weeks and with factory rep advising they swapped the axles left-side to right side: n.g. replaced all wheel bearings: n.g reversed the rear plate on the tranny torque converter: n.g four wheel alignment re-balance all 4 wheels then finally replacing the drive shafts. Problem gone. whew!

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,079 Posts
Sounds like a shotgun approach to problem solving. They replaced the entire driveline!
I agree, was it flopping the Torque Converter, or the tire re-balance, OR the DRIVE SHAFTS, or the WHEEL Bearings???? OR Alignment. OR swapping axles. Not at all the OP's issue/intent...but no help here. I guess you can't expect the dealer to forensically problem solve...on issue at a time? Basic PSing

So if your Gen-4 3.6 vibrates between 65 and 70 it is 1 of these 5 issues OR all.

WHEW!:)lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm pretty sure it was the drive shafts. I guess they were going with cheaper is better and figured I would go away.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Drive shaft is probably the easiest to change out but the hardest to get regarding part availability. Takes about 10 minutes to drop the drive shaft and plug a new one in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had the same issue resolved on my 2014 3.6r. They started out balancing the tires which didn't work. Second time around I told them I did some research and it might be a torque converter which they replaced, problem solved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just had the same issue resolved on my 2014 3.6r. They started out balancing the tires which didn't work. Second time around I told them I did some research and it might be a torque converter which they replaced, problem solved.
I'm a newbie here andmy 2014 3.6r is 2 weeks old. I am having vibration problem form day 1. It is constant vibration in any speed. I first thought it was the tires, but now after reading this thread, I'm leaning towards to the drive shaft and/or torque converter. I feel the vibration all the time, but technitian and the sevice manager can't feel it. It seems like it is more relate to the engine rev speed than the speed of the car.
What do you think?

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
Well, I do not know about a vibration that is always present.

Here are factors I know cause vibration at higher speeds:

-not properly balanced wheels/tires
-rear axles having a minor variation from specified position
-drive-shaft

You may want to take your car to another dealer and see how they react. Not all service departments are equal. I am very impressed with a couple around here but I have also been to some where I would not want to have to go back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2015 3.6 strong vibration on 70-75 mph, checked with Subaru, they replace one tire (did not meet road force specs) , still vibrating. They said they will notify tech manager and will let me know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2015 OB 3.6, also had the vibration issue from day 1.
I had the car about 65 days as of this post...

It has been in the shop for over 12 days, so far.

They initially blamed me, stating " I bent my wheels! " - Which I highly doubt, but did not contest, since I drove the new car home...there is no way to prove I did not hit any pot holes to dent ALL 4 rim!

Long story short,

My car still vibrates! After 4 rim changes! 4 new tires. All of which I had to chase Bridgestone and SOA for.

I been writing to SOA for help...since the dealer is at a loss for what to do next. SOA is now ignoring me as well.

Anyone have any thoughts?

* I drive round trip from NY to North Carolina every month, driving 13 hours each way with this vibration is KILLING me!

So far, they swapped 4 rims, 4 tires.
They claim they checked the rotors.
They claim they reset the drive train. (whatever that means???)
They claim they checked the bearings.

12 days in the shop, 5 days lost from work. Dealer put a crack in my windshield, dent on my doors. Subaru is driving me nuts!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Edward, I think you're going through what I've been through... I have '14 OB 3.6R, 15 months old with 32,000 Miles on. Mine had the vibration from Day 1 also. I've been to the dealer 7 or 8 times to get it fix, but well, I still have this vibrator in my garage. it is very stressful. I'ver recently replaced all 4 tires and the vibration is still there. I'm going to give it one more shot take it to the dealer. this is the worst vehicle I've ever had and Subaru has the worst customer service, both the dealer and SOA. Don't expect SOA will fix your car... They didn't do it on mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts