Subaru Outback Forums banner

241 - 246 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
My two Cardone 60-7355 reman axles (with OEM cups etc.) are showing vibration at 65-75 MPH, although they did cure the idle vibration. I've just decided to drop the cash on new axles, at $330 a side from my local dealer.

I'm going through the car to get it sorted for the next 5-6 years, so it's not the biggest part of the costs (headgaskets...). Guess I'll try and return the Cardones, but I bought them over a month ago.
An update: I had new tires fitted today, and the vibration has gone, still with the Cardone axles fitted.

Either I lost a wheel weight sometime around when I did the work, a wheel wasn't on quite straight, or maybe the slide pins on my brakes started to stick after I compressed them to remove the brakes to replace the steering knuckles with unremovable pinch bolts.

The car doesn't get driven on highways much (nearest is 15 minutes away), so it might have fixed itself any time in the last couple of weeks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
An update: I had new tires fitted today, and the vibration has gone, still with the Cardone axles fitted.

Either I lost a wheel weight sometime around when I did the work, a wheel wasn't on quite straight, or maybe the slide pins on my brakes started to stick after I compressed them to remove the brakes to replace the steering knuckles with unremovable pinch bolts.

The car doesn't get driven on highways much (nearest is 15 minutes away), so it might have fixed itself any time in the last couple of weeks.
Ok, so I drove it again tonight on a much smoother piece of highway, and I was overly optimistic yesterday.

The vibration is reduced by the new tires and balancing, but it's still there between 65 and 80mph. It's ok for short highway trips, but I wouldn't want to drive an hour or so at >65.

Guess that means I don't have to pay the restocking fee for the OEM axles...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Finally getting round to swapping out the Cardone 60-7355 reman OEM axles for new OEM. Done the passenger side so far.

This side was leaking from the diff seal. Measuring the Cardone axle I just took off that side, the sealing surface there is under size by about 0.2 mm diameter, and has clearly been turned down. Which would explain why it won't seal perfectly (seal replaced 600 miles ago looks fine).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Measuring against two new OEM axles, the leaking reman axle is 0.23mm under size, at 34.74 mm, while the non-leaking reman axle is 0.10 mm under size at 34.87mm. both new axles are 34.97 mm (on my calipers). the leaking axle also has significantly more axial play than the non-leaking reman, and both have more play than the new OEM axles.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The vibration I was getting after changing to both the reman and new OEM axles turned out to be a sticking right front brake.

I think the new OEM axle has stopped the diff leak.

241 - 246 of 246 Posts
About this Discussion
245 Replies
102 Participants
dyqik
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing