Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I have a check engine on now, would you know if there any correlation between vibrating shaft and check engine, car has about 156K Thanks for help and advise

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
Not without knowing what the code is. Most auto parts stores will read the code for free. Get it read and report back here (in your own thread) with the code.

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Well, I have a check engine on now, would you know if there any correlation between vibrating shaft and check engine, car has about 156K Thanks for help and advise
Most likely, you have a misfire from either bad plugs or wires and the timing was just a coincedence. Although, I suppose an axle could vibrate enough for the knock sensor to think there is a misfire. Get the code. If it is cylinder specific, suspect ignition parts. If it is a random misfire, more likely for the axle to be the cause.

·
Registered
2000 subaru outback. 2.5l
15 Posts
Dont mean to sound like a rookie, what does MWE mean?
Im experiencing the same issue. thanks for the heads up.
This out back forume is great.

·
Registered
Reg 04 but old model H6 Gr
30 Posts
If there is any one from the UK reading this Drive Shafts UK have recently rebuilt mine. Brilliant 3 Day turnaround. Mike

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i
60 Posts
I put in Raxles axles almost a year ago and the car has been smooth as butter since. They really were fantastic to work with.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
26 Posts
just fought a vibration issue-- aftermarket axles-- our shop isn't going to deal much with aftermarket axles for a long time now..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can someone explain why an aftermarket axle can cause vibration at idle when it isn't spinning? I just bought a used 2005 that just had the passenger side axle replaced and it has a small vibration at idle.
thanks in advance,
Andy

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
Technically? I'll leave that to someone with more understanding than me.

Experience? Difference in construction, something is strained in the aftermarkets that is not with OEM ones. I just replaced a A1 Cardone axle that was about to rattle my fillings out.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
Usually.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Will the vibration associated w/ the axle issue damage the drivetrain at all. It seems like the potential is there. I recently bought this car and the vibration was noticed by the shop that checked it out but they didn't seem to think it was a big issue. So here I am now finding out the previous owners just installed an aftermarket axle. Should I rush to have it replaced w/ an MWE?
thanks a ton.
andy

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Mostly just an annoyance issue. shouldn't damage anything long term.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
In theory no, but as mine was vibrating enough to rattle change in the cup holder unless I shifted into Neutral, I had a MWE axle swapped in when I took mine in for the TB service. Worth the extra cost for a smooth vehicle again.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
Off the website you quoted.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i Limited
380 Posts
Going to order my MWE axle next week! I have a Cardone1 axle and it has been rattling since it was first put on.

:cool:

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited, 4 cylinder 2.5L SOHC, with 4 speed automatic transmission
8 Posts
I just put in 2 GSP brand front CV axles. Like so many of you, I've learned the hard way that aftermarket axles rattle and vibrate like crazy. It makes the whole car feel old and shaky. I just called MWE to get 2 axles from them. The guy on the phone was very nice, and even took the time to explain to me a little of what he knows of the reason behind aftermarket axle vibration. Apparently, other manufacturers make CV joints that are too loose. This allows the differential to turn back and forth while the car is stopped, creating vibration and chatter while in drive or reverse.

It's obvious that MWE axles are strictly OEM rebuilds, since they won't even accept aftermarket axles as cores. He only works with genuine Subaru axles.

I'm going to try to get a refund on my GSP axles, since I haven't even driven 300 miles on them yet. They simply don't work.

21 - 40 of 255 Posts